Lessons to Learn: From Taxi Plates in the Uber world

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by srirang, 22nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

The thing is, Uber is a good idea whose time has come.

Just like Airbnb.

When an idea's time has come, you can't stop it.

There will be teething issues, but this is how it is.

2. twistedstats

twistedstats Well-Known Member

Uber is a case of digital disruption forcing out the monopoly of taxis. Its a good thing for consumers. In the end you can still hail a taxi or an uber car. I've only used them twice and I've had better experiences both times than in a taxi. The rating system forces out bad drivers (and customers). I just wish there was something better for property owners. Word of mouth still seems to be the way to go for choosing tradies.

The media coverage is a little unfair although some regulation might be good to restrict fares from rising to ridiculous levels.

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Uber were charging up to 8 times the normal fare on New Years Eve. Taxis have a fixed fare rate.

Uber came in illegally and the weak govt made them legal.

This price gouging by Uber will tarnish their reputation and hopefully people will ignore them and use taxis.

Uber is not only hurting the taxi industry but also its customers.

People of Australia stand up and revolt against Uber!

Thank you.

4. Steven Ryan

Unless something has changed since the exact same thing last year (Uber rides "1.3 times normal fare" on Wednesday morning), Uber has dynamic, automatic pricing based on supply and demand. That's fine with me. Remember when bananas were $500000/kg?

Uber's great. I've used it in Australia and abroad. It's been more affordable, much quick for pickup, friendlier and more enjoyable service every single time.

Why would the "people of Australia" revolt against a superior service?

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

lol. That's blatant overcharging. Look, if the paying public are happy paying 8x too much then they can. However anyone with common sense will prefer to pay less.....for any service.

No, I don't remember bananas at that price.

That "people of Australia" line was a joke (smiley face). If you're happy with Uber then go ahead and use them, they're legal in NSW and it's a free country.

If I ever need a ride I'll wait the extra 10 minutes and catch a cab. Maybe even tip the driver if the service is good.

6. Steven Ryan

@datto, very noble of you.

Will you stick to hotels (over Airbnb) for accomodation as well? :)

7. ACMH16

ACMH16 Well-Known Member

There's been a run of news articles complaining about uber increasing prices during periods of high demand recently. I don't see the issue with it - higher demand and lower supply leading to increased pricing is completely rational.

The only take away I've gotten from the articles is that if you're looking for transport during a high demand time period, call a taxi.

datto likes this.
  8. twistedstats

Keep in mind this was only between certain hours on NYE. The normal uberx rate (now legal in NSW) is slightly lower than a taxi which would apply the majority of the time.

Good luck. There's a reason the price surged to 8x.

Would you use uber taxi? The uber rating system incentivizes drivers to provide good service. Monolopies don't.

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Look, I think airbnb are the complete opposite of Uber Ride Share in the sense that the major hotels in a city are owned by very rich mothers. Also Airbnb were a legal operation from the start.

Whereas, most taxis are owned by the little guy. The battler so to speak.

Airbnb, to me are more like a Robin Hood......they are taking money away from the filthy rich and giving it to the small player who wouldn't have a hope in hell of owning a hotel.

On that note, yes I probably would use Airbnb over a hotel.

10. ACMH16

ACMH16 Well-Known Member

I'm well aware it will take forever waiting for a taxi in those circumstances. I'm still not personally willing to pay the market rate as per Uber. The other option I would consider is just waiting the hours until the demand and price through Uber decreased again.

Admittedly I'm talking in generalities. There would certainly be specific cases were I might be willing to pay that rate.

Overall, I just like the ability of the pricing to respond to market conditions. I think it's generally a good thing

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah but for how long. Oooh its an ordinary Friday after midnight, peak time, lets jack the price up. Or its a rainy Monday 7.00 AM and people are desperate to get to work warm and dry......lets jack the price up

I wouldn't use it even if I was on my hands and knees crawling through the Simpson Desert, with my last drop of water, and the Uber taxi pulled up with Miss Universe as the driver wearing nothing but a smile and blowing me kisses.

(let me rethink that last bit :D )

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

In which case... become the driver. Problem solved.

13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Gockie likes this.
  14. twistedstats

I like how you said you'll think about the last but not the scenario. :)

15. Gockie

?I just checked... for Sydney isn't the Uber Taxi option a taxi booked through the app charged at Taxi rates plus ~5%?

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You do have to be on the watch when in business for what is changing or coming, sometimes your so busy though as a small business person, it can be hard, also not easy to flip a business.

AirBNB I do not think, has anything to do with the residential rental market, but if you were a short term managing company, it may have more impact, but property, even with short stays, is more complex than a driver service.

I think @datto has a point here.

Uber were illegal, our Govt. was slugging people for years for plates and then regulating them with lot's of rules etc, most people involved are not getting rich quick.

Now if the govt makes Uber legal, which is fine, but do not let them destroy the taxis, make them play by the same rules, cap fares as well, then review yearly, give the taxi plate owners time to also try and recoup.....then let the market be free. You can't have one lot with the hands tied and the other to go forth and do as they wish (I wonder what happened behind the scenes for this)

You guys just think what would happen if govt says all persons owing more than one property must now have at least one tenant who resides rent free from the govt rental pool for 10 years. You have to feel for these people who had skin in the game & on a flip of the coin, it is all thrown out. I do not know all the details, but seems many people are out hundreds of thousands.

Also, the point being, really bad times 2 if taxi industry allowed to be destroyed and if the ride share thing just ends up gouging, of what use to the public is this sort of disruption when aided by the government. No biggie to me, but this is not been done well it seems.

Over the years, our own governments probably cause the most issues for the smaller people, small business etc.

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2016
    datto likes this.
  17. Gockie

Very well argued @dabbler. But I think the whole Taxi industry was not so good and needed a jolt. Why were Taxi plates so expensive? Because they had a controlled monopoly, and then had a license to operate without competition, that's why.

Cabcharge... why could that company get away with charging an extra 10% for the priviledge of paying by credit card? It was just not right. I also had a work colleague who noticed the taxi driver slipped in an extra zero to the value of his taxi charge at one time when he saw his credit card statement.... he had to go and fight it.
    The majority of taxi drivers if they got into the business recently will have lost.... just like investors in a mining town unfortunately.

Still, not everybody is going to use Uber. Taxis still have a convenience factor - it can be easier to simply go out to a taxi rank and take a taxi or go out to a busy road and hail one for a short trip rather than mess around with the Uber app (which is admittedly, not difficult to use but if you can't be bothered....)

Kodak went bankrupt because of new digital technology and decided to ignore it to their detriment. Its fair that new technology changes the landscape of business if it does it cheaper/better/conveniently.... wonder why there are few candlestick makers?

Dabbler is right though, we should have both Uber/ride share and a Taxi industry just to cap any price gauging from either party. Competition rules....

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2016
  18. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hahaha hahahaha

Can't work out if you're a magnificent troll or haven't slept for a week, either way good job having no clue.

wogitalia likes this.
  19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Would make a good bill board poster..

Whitecat and datto like this.
  20. Steven Ryan

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but illuminate some points. It seems like emotion is trumping logic in this case :)

Airbnb, like Uber, broke new ground and was not (and is still not) legal on most of the planet though outdated legislation is catching up.

What about the mum and dad bed & breakfasts who have been disrupted by Airbnb hosts nearby who can let rooms/homes for half the price? Or the hotel employees who will no longer have a jobs?

So the Uber drivers who are now empowered with a way to earn extra income in and around what they're already doing (without having the owner of their taxi plate taking a big cut)–those who had no hope in hell of owning a taxi plate themselves....?

I recommend it. Another superior service. :)

sanj likes this.