Lessons learnt and tips for finishings

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by bob shovel, 11th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Thought we'd start a thread with the things not to do or advice for new builds or renovations.

Reason I thought this could be useful is to share things we've done or seen that don't work or could be done better

I was going to put together a draft and work on it before starting the thread but I've just come home to the place we are currently renting (new townhouse 4x2) and the handy man has put up the washing line on the back patio where it gets about 15min sun a day! 
    DSC_0050.JPG
    We've been waiting a couple of weeks for the pm to organise and this is what they did. It's a slim line that could have (should have) been put on the north facing fall near the laundry! Sorry about the rant but this is another thing that I've noticed could have been done a lot better! (I suspect the owner/LL has run out of money out blown the budget)

The washing line isn't the end of the world but I think that as a tenant if you get a number of things that aren't right it makes the property less appealing, less practical and then less likely to be looked after if sort cuts are evident and also more chance of renting elsewhere or not staying on long term.

Another big thing is power points, I realise there is a cost but in today's age there should be 2 gpo's per bedroom and living area. Obviously smaller rooms may get away with 1.but make sure they are placed practically next to where the bed would be located!! or tv etc

Skirting. This place has no skirting in the bedrooms where there is carpet, not sure if it's trendy or the type of carpet but I've noticed that without skirting beds and furniture get pushed hard against the walls resulting in more chance of marks and scratches to walls, the skirting takes the impact and keeps furniture off the walls.

Internal door to garage. To get furniture in this place the best way was through garage and then into the house. It has a 820 standard door but for the small extra cost of going bigger really does make life easier to get furniture in. That's a"nice to have"or one for the ppor build.

Another thing would be the over/under capitalising, need to get the mix right. This place again has a huge 900 Westinghouse oven and cook top, but no dish washer and no actual bench space as it's lost to the bigger oven and general layout. The sink mirrors the oven and both have about 600mm usually bench each side. Cutting board is all you can fit.

I'll pick this place to bits further I think.

But for anyone else who has come across the old stitch in time saves nine perhaps. Or simple changes that can prevent damage or issues once tenants are in. This could be the place to dump your ideas to help others plan their builds.

... Just spotted something else. Laundry external door, I don't see the benefit of a glass sliding door got a laundry. Extra cost but no gain. Laundry doesn't need a pretty door or extra light plus this door can not fit a washing machine through it! The
    Door is pointless in my books, plus the new clothes line is not on the exterior wall next to the door so it won't be used at all.

DSC_0051.JPG

Specific design and layout may be best in their own thread and keep this general ideas

Last edited: 11th Sep, 2015
  2. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Plenty of things to watch out for. Design wise that laundry door should have gone out to an area with the clothesline.

Others:
    - Extra power points, preferably doubles and 20+ at the build stage. And outdoor power points too like alfresco and in garage etc
    - Thing about water source for behind fridge for fridges with ice makers.
    - Dishwasher recess etc
    - If it will be tenanted, think exhaust fans wired up to light switch to ensure they are used.
    - Water taps outside, at lease front and rear.
    - Power/ gas boxes at front of house not behind fences/gates.
    - Tv aerials during the build.
    - Double entry doors for furniture and looks better imo.
    - Access from garage to rear especially if your store area is in the garage.

Thats just some of the things I have come across. Lots of other things to look for.

bob shovel likes this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Good reminder about the stove and oven. I so wanted to put a 900mm in my small IP because I love mine in PPOR but that would be overcapitalising.

4. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

bob shovel likes this.
  5. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Lack of powerpoints is a pet hate of mine!

6. bob shovel

Corkey and The Y-man like this.
  7. bob shovel

Same I can't stand it!!
    Real estate just rang and said the LL is going to look at prices to get more installed, won't be cheap in a double brick place!and not a simple back one into the room behind either. I'll let them work it out  :p

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Double power points everywhere. Building one at the moment, just paid $190 to have points relocated to "sensible" positions (builder had put them in the middle of bedroom walls and what would have been behind the lounge in the media room, who does that?), and a waterproof external to Alfresco. Tastics to bathrooms to prevent damp. Shelves in built in wardrobes, a small thing but I see it as perceived value. Just say no to wire shelving. Anywhere. Any sort of metering outside the fence line to prevent yard entry. Full fly screens with Crimsafe Security or the like to the front door. That's a good start.

legallyblonde likes this.