Lending to related entity?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Purple Patch, 26th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Purple Patch

Purple Patch Well-Known Member

I am in a situation where I am required to pay out a vendor financed loan in August and was hoping to refinance the current loan against the asset, as the initial valuation 2 years ago was below purchase price.
    I am not able to refinance or top up the existing loan, even though the recent valuation of the asset came in substantially higher than purchase price 2 years ago. The issue is new servicing calculators! Big 4 and mortgage broker both confirm the situation. The total debt including vendor finance is still below 80% LMI.
    I am able to pay out the vendor loan from savings, put aside for another reason, and will be selling a property next April to assist with the servicing issues we are facing.
    I wish to lend the money from myself to the entity holding the asset (company & trust structure) until May next year and when we can refinance the initial loan and top it up, then repay the personal loan to myself. I wish to keep all borrowing tax deductible at all times, especially when the loan from myself is repaid back into my savings.
    I am assuming a loan agreement with myself and the entity, including a realistic interest payment, would be required. I don't believe a Division 7a complying loan is applicable or helpful in this situation.
    Any suggestions on whether this can be done simply by oneself or is it something that requires a legal touch?
    @Terry_w @Paul@PFI

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you have the skill you can draft your own agreements, but one of my clients was denied deductibility of interest in a private ruling application.

Purple Patch likes this.