Margin Loans Lenders that treat margin loans favourable for servicing purpose

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by kanad, 5th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I have a margin loan which is fixed rate interest only and I have paid the interest in advance. It is secured against ETFs with a conservative 50% gearing. However St George bank is treating this as an overdraft (like a credit card) and this is seriously limiting my serviceability and hence borrowing power.

Are there other mainstream lenders that will treat margin loan favourably as it is secured against shares. My trading history can show I have held the shares over 3 years and didn’t sell any during the time.

A secondary question is I am in a new job, just past probation, where I have a variable component (commission) in the salary. I have max commission figure and the real amount received in the last 7 payslips. Which bank will look at the commission portion more favourably. Will it be based on history or they take a percentage of the max commission.

if it helps I am looking to borrow for a new ppor, current ppor will become investment property. I want cheapest variable rate with 100% offset.

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2021
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

speak to a broker about using CBA

Morgs likes this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Some lenders won't even include the margin loan on their serviceability calculations (no income used from the investment either though)
    Suggest you speak to a good mortgage broker to get some specific advice.
    If, by the sounds of it, your priority is lender policy regarding commission income and treatment of existing margin lending for maximum serviceability don't be surprised if you don't get the absolute cheapest variable rate on the market.

4. NG.

NG. Well-Known Member

If you are reliant on dividend income from those shares attached to margin loan, a responsible lender would include the margin loan.

5. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

I believe cba won't include it if you don't use the dividends.

Firstmac will take the interest only repayments

Boq/virgin- calculated over 30 years P&I

6. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

Thanks. A naughty question. What if I don’t declare the margin loan, it is not shown in credit reports. Also I agree my broker is clueless. I can’t change now as my loan is already submitted, but I am looking for a better broker who has experience beyond vanilla scenarios. I am in Melbourne looking to buy new ppor in SE Qld.

7. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

The dividend is mostly reinvested in DRP and the amount is less than $4K. I won’t include it in my income.

8. Lindsay_W

You should declare/disclose any and all current liabilities

9. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

You being naughty could get your loan rejected, even just before settlement.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

That is tax avoidance as well. DRPs are assesable income that is used to buy more shares. A diligent lender would ask why no income is declared.

11. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I of course declare the dividends to ATO. But do I need to include the meagre income when applying for the home loan. I want to get the loan based on my salary income only.

12. Lindsay_W

If you use a lender that excludes the Margin Loan then no.

13. NG.

NG. Well-Known Member

No wouldn't bother mate. Brokers/bankers wouldn't even know how to assess the MGL liability anyway...

14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

The main issue is that many lenders assess these at 20 to 25 years PI at LIMIT, and allow approx 65 % of the divs income.

ta
    rolf