Legitimate Maintenance Items

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Alexb, 19th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I would personally just send a handyman around to sort those things out and also request that if there's anything else to have those fixed too (with my approval) to save another call out fee.

You will find that new purchases almost always come with a few minor maintenance items (and sometimes big maintenance items!) that are found in the first few months. The building report is generally there to ascertain 'big ticket' items and depending on the quality of the inspector, they will often include minor items but this shouldn't be expected.

I always prepare my clients by suggesting a post-settlement maintenance budget to allow for these types of issues as they are more common than not. A handyman shouldn't charge much for those and anything else that might have cropped up and it will also demonstrate to your tenant that you willing to take care of their home which will start the relationship off on the right foot too.

One aspect to be wary of is deductibility with respect to maintenance too close to settlement. This is a bit of grey area and you should seek guidance from your accountant, but if it's too close and depending on the item, the ATO can rule that it forms part of the purchase price of the property i.e. the broken item item was part of the reason that you paid $X and not allow the deduction.

These items don't appear to be that way but if, for example, you decide to repair a bunch of broken blinds the day after settlement, you might have a bit of a problem.

D.T. likes this.