Legislative timeframes to lodge Title Transfer documentation

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by HHolzy, 4th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HHolzy

HHolzy Member

Can anybody advise if there are legislative timeframes for Mortgagees to lodge Title Transfer Documentation?

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I don't think so. I once sold a property about 2 years after I purchased it and it hadn't been transferred into my name, it was still in the name of the person I purchased it from. ANZ said they found a pile of files hidden in the office of a staff member who never actioned them.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many private lenders may hold a unregistered mortgage. The avoids fees and all the signed paperwork is held in the bottom drawer until required and lodged at a later time. Care has to be taken that a second mortgage is not sought as when registered it may act as a first mortgage. More common with a related party perhaps. Possibly dangerous for defences in bankruptcy etc I saw it happen for a short term loan to avoid the mortgage registration fees to register a charge and then discharge it. Instead when it was repaid the documents were surrendured to the borrower to destroy. Also wont show as a registered borrowing for a later finance issue. ie it is private.

I have always questioned if it fails the personal property security registry rules as nothing is registered ? Something to ask a solicitor

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

PPS Act doesn't cover charges over real property these fall under the relevant conveyancing or real property acts

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Thanks terry.

Terry_w likes this.