Legally referring to a room as a bedroom

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Viviennec, 30th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Viviennec

Viviennec Member

We are in Victoria and in the process of selling.

We have a 4th bedroom or study. When we purchased it was classified as a study.

Room is 3 x 2.4
    Roof height is over 2.4
    It is carpeted
    It has windows that open for ventilation.

It currently has my sons bed bedside table and desk in there as well as a wardrobe which we would remove for staging purposes.

I have read some conflicting reports some saying council need to refer to it as a bedroom for us to be able to sell it as a bedroom.

At this point I am not sure what council have it listed as but if it meets the habitable room requirements can we have it on the floorpan as a bedroom/study?

Thanks

2. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Not sure of the answer, but curious to hear what people say.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Probably not the agent. The BCA rules keep changing and windows must be a certain % of area and ventilation must be more than a specified %.

Maybe of help Habitable Room Requirements defines a habitable room rather than a bedroom as such

Alterations to make a habitable room generally are not exempt and need approval and a revised occ certifcate so searches will show the correct rooms if a buyers does a search.

4. Viviennec

Viviennec Member

Thanks I guess in the end it doesn’t matter too much if it isn’t officially a bedroom we have used it as such without concern it has more windows than any other bedroom in the house.

I suppose we can still dress it as a bedroom.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.