Legal Tip 33: Fathered a child overseas?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Terry_w, 21st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

    Terry_w Structuring Lawyer and Finance Broker - all states Business Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    Fathered a child overseas?

    Some Australian men while traveling overseas impregnate the local women and then do a runner - either intentionally or unintentionally.

    A parent can be required to pay child support where that parent is in Australia and the child and its other parent are overseas.

    Australia has reciprocal agreements with a large number of countries.

    In any event, the child would also be entitled to your estate in full or in part should you die with a will or without a will. Evidence may be an issue though, but these days DNA tests are becoming cheaper and more common.

    Legal Tip - wear a condom!
    Tony Fleming likes this.
  2. Pistonbroke

    Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    I know of one instance where as the deceased died intestate but was born overseas, huge expense was made searching in his country of birth and all other countries visited to find any offspring.

    Legitimate adult children weren't impressed.