Legal? - QLD forced quarantine (jail/house arrest) will start charging Aussies $2800

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by coins, 18th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I wonder what happens with the linens & towels for the quarantine stays?
    I assume they just get given a new set & make the beds themselves (they don't have anything else to do anyway)? How often do they get changed? I'm also thinking about the infection control processes for the dirty linen.

And what about clothes laundry, how does that work for those staying there?

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It seems that those with the loudest complaints are also the most economically clueless.

Pingu1988, punti, spludgey and 3 others like this.
  3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

I spent two weeks in Quarantine
    I spent two weeks in Quarantine in late April.

1. towels and linens are replaced every 3 days. they drop off a big bag for you to put in your old linen and they supply new linen that you use. You make your own bed etc. Do your own cleaning

2. Laundry is done by the hotel. In Vic you were entitled to one free bag a week. If you used more than that it was $40

3. Meals are supplied and dropped at your room door. The food is crap so I ordered via UberEats or Deliveroo most of the time. they bring the food to your room and drop at the front door.

Perp and qak like this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Me too. Crown Promenade by any chance?

Linen provided on request and Uber Eats / Woolworths available for when I couldn’t stand the food. And believe me it’s not a 5 star holiday.

There are some very ill informed attitudes re ‘Should have come home earlier’ and ‘selfish to travel overseas’. It isn’t that easy to travel home when airlines have laid off staff and grounded aircraft. And your host country has closed down public transport, car hire and non essential services. And people are forced to travel for reasons other than holidays.

coins likes this.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

@Heinz57

Crowne Plaza actually. Agreed a lot of misinformation. I travelled when the Australian Government had no restrictions or warnings on international travel. Within 48 hours it was announced in the Philippines that international travel would be banned.

I spent close to 20 hours in total on hold to Qantas to reorganise flights. All to no avail. Organised flights to Hong Kong to return via HK and transit passengers banned. No flights out of the country. Unless you were there and experiencing how difficult it was to get back you just dont realise it.

I ask many people "were you self isolating in February ?" i get a blank response. The reason is noone knew how serious it was until later. and the first time in history that all international travel has been banned. Not even during SARS and MERS did this occur.

Beano, Heinz57 and coins like this.
  6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

And leave a bank bond to support the fine !

7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yeah ..no executive lounge, welcome bottle of wine and basket of fruit etc

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No minibar.

Some had no outside delivery. Some did. Hey it's free. No concern

9. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

That sounds like a real nightmare Mike A. With the benefit of hindsight is there anything that you would do differently if this was to happen again to make this easier for you?

10. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

now we know that international flights can be cancelled worldwide in an instant i wouldn't travel internationally if another country was experiencing an outbreak that had the potential to go worldwide. First time in history it has ever happened but now we know it can happen best to either stay in your home country or be prepared to stay 6 to 12 months in the location you plan on going to.

MTR, Handyandy and Marg4000 like this.
  11. coins

coins Well-Known Member

Victorians in lockdown to get a rent-free period and $1,500 cash payments, plus free food and free entertainment and free internet: Free rent, food, Wi-Fi for stranded Melbourne housing residents

How does the government get away with this, giving free accommodation to some Aussies PLUS a $1,500 cash payment while charging returning people in forced hotel quarantine $2,800 in VIC & QLD? To be fair there should be no rent-free period or free $1,500 payments of taxpayer's money, if they are not offering free quarantine to other Aussies. This will be for apparently over 3,000 people. It will cost taxpayers a fortune.

Surely there's a lawsuit in the making with this type of double standard being implemented by the govenment.

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Are you still on about this?

It is a choice to travel between countries.

The people in Melbourne who are in hard lockdown (forced quarantine, under police guard) have no such choice - they just happen to live in the wrong place where there is a concentration of infected patients.

I am also of the understanding that in Queensland they do it differently to other states. In NSW they have "police hotels" and "health hotels". If you enter the state and need to be quarantined, you'll go to a "police hotel". If you then test positive to the virus, you'll be moved to a "health hotel" where you can be more closely monitored by health staff and they can manage the infection risk. If you become unwell, you will be moved to a hospital.

However, in QLD I believe that they don't have "health hotels" - if you have the virus, you go straight to hospital. I could be wrong there.

Either way - it's a completely different situation in Melbourne to what is happening in QLD.

Mat, spludgey, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  13. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Yes I was self isolating in February.

Australia (and others) restricted visitors from China from 1 February. I guess some people need a neon sign.

14. coins

coins Well-Known Member

It's all because the Aussie government f**ked things up with their incompetence.

Don't know why the Aussie government is forcing people to be locked up in hotel quarantine when apparently they are doing a p*ss-poor job of it, at least in VIC they are a joke and Victorians are meant to be paying for their own quarantine.

This journalist is currently in quarantine in VIC and has written her 1st hand experience: https://twitter.com/MegClement/status/1279300381978300418

Security staff are untrained in infection control and are unwittingly spreading COVID-19
    *Security guards without masks or gloves
    *Holiday Inn staff without masks or gloves
    *Guards lacking training on how to dispose of PPE (at one point I was asked by an unmasked supervisor to put used PPE into a guard's hands rather than the dedicated infectious waste bin)
    *External guests are checking into the hotel and it is still bookable online

Meanwhile we're banned from going outside and when a fire alarm of unknown cause went off for 10 minutes yesterday, quarantined people were told to stay in our rooms.

15. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

the government generally do the will of the people. Looking at the replies on this post I think the government has the support of most people except those that have to pay or close to someone who has to pay (that's understandable)

Everyone has a legal right to take laws that they don't like to court and can always open civil proceedings against government

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I was going to delete your post after reading the first two paragraphs.

But FWIW, I actually agree with you on the remainder of it.

From my understanding - the Victorian government has possibly had their "Ruby Princess" moment when they placed untrained security guards in control of potentially infectious people in quarantine hotels. It has been shown that these people have unwittingly spread the virus out into the community.

I'm not blaming the security guards - this is not what they are trained for - responsibility here lies with the Victorian government.

In NSW they are using police and health staff (although many of the staff at the "health" hotels are provided by an external contractor - but they are still qualified staff). Police have training in infection control since they are front-line first responders - security guards generally do not have the same level of training. Using security guards rather than police is purely a cost saving measure - and that cheapness is going to cost the state (indeed potentially the entire country) far more than they would have saved had they paid professionals to do the job in the first place.

Another example of the Victorian government's half-arsed approach to dealing with this virus?

craigc, wylie and Angel like this.
  17. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Tough choice to decide whether to stay in Philippines or come back to Australia. In hindsight you probably made the right choice , especially if you were stuck in Makati. If I was stuck in Puerto Galera, El Nido or Coron I'd prefer to stay there and go diving every day.

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I reckon the Vic Govt may need to socially distance social media by cutting all wifi and internet to those Towers. They will be Daniel Andrews downfall with them having all the time in the worls on their hands to speak to willing radio and TV about their complaints. Not one good news story will come of it. His own party will turn on him like all ALP stouches end. And they no longer have any AFL teams in town.

At least the NSW / Vic border looks like its about to close. Melbourne may be a full lockdown soon. The ADF should be field managing this.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Is this a silly question??

How many lockdowns are required to get rid of coronavirus and is it even possible? Could we see lockdown 2025?

WA gone from 0 to 9 today, that will put our Premier in a tail spin, its kind of like the windscreen wiper scenario.... yes its working, no its not working:(

Marg4000 likes this.
  20. coins

coins Well-Known Member

That Tweet by that person even made a News.com.au article: Traveller slams hotel quarantine as unsafe

What an absolute shocker hotel quarantine has turned out to be in VIC: Security guard’s bombshell quarantine claims