Legal? - QLD forced quarantine (jail/house arrest) will start charging Aussies $2800

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by coins, 18th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Why can´t people quarantine in their own homes and just check up on them ?

I´d like to return for a month but won´t while any quarantine is required. I don´t think many tourists would go either. Understandable now but long term ? It´s an issue in Europe with some tit-for-tat quarantine requirements put on countries that impose it on others. Now everyone seems to be scrapping it, gone in Spain from next week.

re. foreigners amnesty visa time periods were suspended in Spain during the state of alarm, but that is ending this month so the clock starts ticking again, could be a lot of people required to leave.

coins likes this.
  2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Because it has been shown that people can’t be trusted!

3. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I had family return from the UK last month. Had to go via Melbourne first, quaranteen for 2 weeks at the airport hotel then drive up to Sydeny. Hotel was average, food below average. Would have been happy to pay for everything if given the choice of where to stay or room standard.

coins likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

This was the situation in the early weeks after entry was restricted. Our son-in-law returned from Japan on 18th March and was required to quarantine at home for 14 days.

Checks revealed many were not at the address they supplied on entry, so controlled hotel quarantine was substituted.

skater, Rugrat, Angel and 4 others like this.
  5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Good..Australians have had months to return home knowing what was coming. If they haven't already, then they should pay for their own costs in quarantine. It's a very selfish attitude to think the government should pay for their own tardiness out of the public purse.

skater, Marg4000, Rugrat and 2 others like this.
  6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

The *******s charged me for uni, that's illegal, as it used to be free!

Danyool and Marg4000 like this.
  7. coins

coins Well-Known Member

Spain, as the next user "Casteller" after you posted. Most likely other regions that would end their amnesty too are many countries in Asia, South America and Africa. In fact, probably most countries in the world probably would too.

Last edited: 18th Jun, 2020
  8. coins

coins Well-Known Member

If they'd made it so that fines were $100k (and possibly jail time) for breaking quarantine instead of staying home for 14 days, I'm pretty sure nearly all people would've taken it seriously and stayed home for the whole duration required.

qak likes this.
  9. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah, because increasing penalties is the best way to stop crime...

/sarcasm.

Honestly it just sounds like you're having a whinge because the laws don't suit you.

punti, Handyandy, shorty and 7 others like this.
  10. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Iceland has a better approach, $114 test on arrival, result in a few hours, quarantine only for the positive. As one of the hardest hit countries a couple of months ago, they have really turned things around.
    Iceland now feels like the coronavirus never happened

Eventually though probably will be "antibody passports" that let immune people bypass everything.

MTR and coins like this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There seems to be some unusual cases where people arriving in quarantine have tested negative multiple times before testing positive, so I'm not sure how effective this approach is.

I'm also not sure if we have a definitive answer to the question of whether people who have had the virus have full immunity.

I'm also not sure Iceland is a good example - with a population of only 364,134 or so and a population density less than Australia's - the dynamics and risk of infection spread would be vastly different to ours and most other countries.

Handyandy, shorty, Stoffo and 3 others like this.
  12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Would not work if you've just been infected though.
    There's a reason you have to wait 6(?) weeks before getting an HIV test. Obvioulsy this virus moves faster, but just making a point.

skater, wylie, Simon Hampel and 2 others like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I mentioned the Iceland case to my wife and she pointed out that here in NSW they do a "day 10 swab" of people in quarantine and are finding asymptomatic people testing positive at that point - I don't think testing on arrival is a sound approach.

I'd also mention that on a per-capita basis, Iceland would be right up there at around #25 in the world of highest infection rates. That being said, for small populations and infection counts (1,816 infected from 364K population) I find the stats become somewhat unreliable as an indicator of anything meaningful, which is why I don't include them in my charts.

shorty and spludgey like this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Each choice is based on ability for services to be provided eg meals and also access monitored. The rate being paid has not been disclosed and is believed to be far less than a typical room rate and is a form of support for these hotels who would otherwise be forced to close as they are very large. Large hotels are very cost effective to manage by shifts of police and Commonwealth agency staff. And have larger areas from space and more lifts etc.

I beleive the rate is around $100 for accom per day with a cleaning and linen charge and meals charge on top. Tjis was accidentially disclosed by a major hotel in Sydney to media early in the piece and was from a large 5 start hotel. Then discussion was stopped and the Govt indicated each hotel was being paid a similiar rate that was accepted by all hotels being used.

And I dont think a 5 star quarantine is any thing like a 5 star hotel. Its a room and meals and not much more. The things that make a hotel 5 star arent available.

Last edited: 19th Jun, 2020
    Perp, Gockie, skater and 1 other person like this.
  15. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Hopefully. Nothing new though. Plenty of countries require yellow fever certificate of immunisation for example.

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Nobody knows what "immunity" is or what is a test. The USA has trumpeted a test for viral shedding of antibodies but nobody knows if that means immunity or if it has duration. You think the USA (and others) will believe a chinese certification ? Or how many will believe the USA for that matter. So many of our imported cases are arriving from the USA (still) and are detected in our quarantine. Yet the media report like its all over there. Just a few weeks ago they were marching and 110K were dead and now its 120K ... and counting. And the line is flat.

The USA data is also supressed. Try finding deaths in the past 24 hrs. They stopped reporting that data to confuse the loyal media since the "fakes" were upsetting the Govt. Data is all state by state and at staggered delays. Federal reporting is in the presidents hands so its just silent. Gags on any truth. Google are now summarising their data but only with a 1 week comparison. Cases are flat (or growing ?) at 800 deaths a day per week (still) but new reported cases are surging in some states.

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Agreed! And it has to be forced quarantine, otherwise people won't all do it.

Joynz likes this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Well, Spain is still getting over 300 new cases a day, China isn't telling the truth, so no idea there, South Africa is getting thousands of cases a day, as is Mexico. I think it is absolutely necessary to quarantine travellers.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Plenty of notice was given, had you not returned to your home country well before June you should have stayed where you were !
    The government should have completely closed the borders, yes even to Australian citizen's :p
    If you are still choosing to return then you should incur the additional cost o_O

skater likes this.
  20. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

NZ's two new cases were people who travelled from London of all places to attend a funeral, and were in quarantine. They did, however, lie about their symptoms to obtain compassionate exemption to attend the funeral, and this has resulted in changes to NZ's quarantine process such that not only do you have to pay for it, but you will not be released until you test confirmed negative. Australia's is a bargain by comparison!

"Splash out"? The government isn't paying rack rate mate, they'll be getting deeply discounted rates especially as the hotel does not have to supply meals or room service - government contractors are providing that. By contrast, resort hotels are offering 5 night stays for only $350 with free breakfast and no weekend surcharges because otherwise the building is just a massive cost sink, since noone can use it.

Perp likes this.