Legal advice required stat!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MichaelMik, 1st Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MichaelMik

MichaelMik Well-Known Member

Hey guys and gals,

Not property related in the slightest but.. My little sister has gotten herself into a bit of strife with a recent fender bender she had with a taxi in Melbourne. My folks received a letter today (the car she drives is registered in their name.) for a bill of $6700 for damages for a little scratch that seems like it would buff out. they've also just got an email from NRMA wanting over $1000 for the excess. She has full comprehensive insurance.

My sister is adamant she only bumped into the rear of the car lightly, that left a mark but didnt even cause a dent and likewise on her car. This cabby driver is claiming the front is damaged as well, and has provided photgraphic evidence, but my sister says there is no way she is resposible for this more extensive damage.

Here is the letter and photos this lawyer sent us for your perousal, any advice on how we should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Michael

Job Quote 5.png Job quote 4.png Job quote 3.png Job quote 2.png Job quote 1.png LH Rear photo.png LH rear photo 2.png Front crack photo.png

This is the photo my sister took at the time on her phone:
    Freyas crime scene pic.jpg

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Isn't the obvious answer that your sister should see her own lawyer?

Greyghost, Terry_w and legallyblonde like this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Why would she need to do anything except contact her insurance provider and advise them of the letter and incident (presuming they don't already know)?

I'd have expected they cover all the legal back and forth.

Ed Barton, JacM and Joynz like this.
  4. MichaelMik

Job Quote good 1.png Job Quote good 2.png

Just so you can hopefully read these two now...

5. thatbum

I missed that part about the insurance - I agree, why isn't her insurer picking up all this?

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Joynz, legallyblonde and Perthguy like this.
  6. MichaelMik

Yeah NRMA emailed the folks today with a bill of $1050 excess. The problem is this amount seems grossly unfair for the nature of the accident and this cabbie is claiming damage to the front of his car that didnt occur from my sister hitting him. Fraud?

7. thatbum

Is NRMA your parent's insurer? Or the taxi's insurer?

Assuming they're your parent's insurers, then I don't see what is so unfair about the excess fee - isn't that the fee that has been agreed for them to cover your parents damage and liability?

Ed Barton, JacM and Joynz like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Am I right in thinking you are questioning the fact there is damage being claimed at both ends of the car? And the damage sustained is more than what was done, ie. you think this claim is fixing a few things that were already damaged?

If so, then I'd be letting your insurer know and let them take up any question of fraud or dodgy claims with the taxi driver.

Unfortunately, even small dings are going to be over $1k so I think the excess just has to be paid.

But I'd certainly be questioning how someone can bump the front and back of a car at the same time, and show photos of the lack of damage to your vehicle and ask how that much damage could have happened to the other vehicle.

My brother had this happen to him a while ago. The damage caused to the other vehicle was over the top and not possible when his car was looked at. He pointed this out but the insurer just paid for the repair and he could do no more than point it out.

I think it was the path of least resistance and it was easier to turn a blind eye to this, than calling the other party out on their obvious dodgy claim. The damage to my brother's vehicle and the extent of what he was supposed to have done to the car was chalk and cheese and more tellingly, the heights of the damage to his vehicle and the other vehicle were out by over a foot and it was very clear that he hadn't caused the damage they were claiming. The insurer will either look further or not. But you've done what you need to.

Last edited: 1st Dec, 2016
    Perthguy likes this.
  9. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

/fin

Perthguy and thatbum like this.
  10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

So what your parents have is a letter of demand, it's just a first step from the taxi owner. I'm assuming that NRMA is your parents insurer?

1. Talk to NRMA about how to handle the taxi's claim. They'll probably just ask you to forward them the letter and you won't have to do anything else except pay the $1000ish excess (for both cars).

2. The excess really just depends on what is in the policy. If your sister was not a nominated driver, or is under 30 or 25 or something, there are additional excess amounts to pay on top of the regular "at fault" excess. Seems pretty cheap compared to the taxi repair quote.

3. $6,700 seems like way too much for a Falcon repair job. The quote was probably from a mate.. your insurer will sort them out. Having said that, most bumpers are plastic, with supporting steel underneath. When they get hit in an accident the steel bends/breaks but the plastic pops back into shape. If the plastic is cracked that usually requires a replacement, which needs to be repainted and colour-matched (colour matching can sometimes mean painting/blending in on half the car). Don't be surprised if a realistic number is around $3k.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@Phase2 that said, it is not unheard of for unrelated damage to be included in an insurance claim.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

They are trying to claim loss of use for five days!

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If their policy doesn't cover a hire car, I would think they have little chance of claiming loss of use.

JacM and Joynz like this.
  14. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Had a similar thing occur to me. Just nudged their wing mirror. Not hard enough to fold it in. $75 to polish out the scratch in my guard. Just over $4k claimed by the other guy for mirror, door, guard and bonnet.

Insurance declared his car an economic write off an settled.

15. MichaelMik

Thank you very much to everyone who replied. It really helped us to get a handle on what we were dealing with here and how to proceed. My father got onto NRMA and my sister has now spoken to them with her account of what happened. We will send them photos of the Taxi damage and the small scratch on her car. Never dealt with a car accident situation before where a claim is made for damages that could not possibly have occurred as a result of a small tap from the rear end. Interesting to hear something similar happened to you Ghoti.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Why are you fighting this? Just hand it over to the insurance and don't worry about it. You're only saving money for the insurance in the end and you will have to pay the excess regardless. Tick the forms and move on.

JacM, DaveM and S.T like this.
  17. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Agree, you pay for comprehensive and dealing with this BS is why. As others have said, send to insurer and advise that all that damage was not caused by her. They will be well versed in the scams the taxi drivers pull, and will fight it out on her behalf.

As she is at fault, the excess will most likely be payable though.

wylie and JacM like this.
  18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

haha $6k is more then the value of thetaxi

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia