WA Leda & Waikiki Perth

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MattyB, 25th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MattyB

MattyB Member

Just wondering if anyone is seeing the same kind of trends with these two Perth suburbs. They are south of Perth in Rockingham region.
    Anyone on the ground there who would kindly express their thoughts?

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

What tread? Increased meth sales? Break and enters due to holiday season?

At least Waikiki can be near the coast. Search it's been discussed before. Leda is more inland just a bland lower economic area. Lots of areas of Perth is currently selling. FOMO? Areas are below replacement cost doesn't always mean it's a good buy.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Buying yourself a Christmas present? :p
    They might be doing ok trendwise at the moment but so is the rest of Perth so it might not be significant.
    I'm not too familiar with the area but have had friends invest in Orelia and Coolongup (close to Leda) and it's been a tough time getting good tenants etc. Of the 2 suburbs I'd pick Waikiki over original Leda even though Leda has better train access - to be brutal the inhabitants of original Leda don't need train access to the CBD because they don't work. The newer part of Leda probably has better people but there is a lot of same same stock as it's land estates with more land to come so may struggle with CG.

MattyB likes this.
  4. MattyB

MattyB Member

Well that’s one way of answering it! But this is why I asked the question. I am not at all familiar with the Perth market. But these two suburbs did come up
    When looking at some of the data points I use.

5. MattyB

MattyB Member

Thank you for your in depth information :) always pays to ask as someone might know more !

6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Have a look at the satellite view map to see all the vacant land down that way.

Baldivis was popular during the last WA boom. Full of people sitting on negative equity and some mortgage stress. Yet the developers are now selling/advertising land down that way again.

7. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Shogun if you were going to invest into the Rockingham region any areas better then others?

8. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

I’m also looking in the Wanneroo area on the other side do most people in Perth prefer the closer to water I’ve never even been planning my first trip there once airfares become a bit cheaper.

9. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Not interested in Leda

10. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

I was also looking at land estates in byford i am still entitled to $35.000 grant next year as I’ve only ever bought a investment but someone advised me to stay away from the new estates in Perth but all up high 200s but I think even with the grants I’d prefer established I’m moving to Perth.

11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

The front page of the WA newspaper recently wrote some areas predicted to rise 30% but areas in outer suburbs still expected to fall/ do nothing due to over supply.

Maps show all the vacant land.

propertychatjohn calls Byford a "suicide" suburb. Were your money goes to die. Its in the middle of nowhere surrounded by empty land. It is getting a train station. At least old section has big blocks of land

Rockingham search it. To live as ppor some areas might be ok. search finds a bit eg Rex page 54 Perth Market 2020. Last year beach front/1 street apartments in Shoalwater could be had very cheap. Rocko is the home of Bogans apparently the makers of Housos visited prior to making the tv show. 2 of my workmates live there and like it

Wanneroo again lots of land, not really close to anything, a long drive, some extremely rich people live on large blocks of land

Light strong cheap pick. Pick any two

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-clarkson-131690746
    2 train stations to Joondalup. a satellite city of Perth Hospital, University, Police academy and every shop you could want to visit.
    Clarkson like all "cheap" suburbs can have social issues. Closer to the beach is newer areas and currently selling the land near the beach, again look at maps to see all the vacant land

Katie likes this.
  12. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Haha HOUSOS HOUSOS bit of fly spray in the eye Kazza reckons to get on the dsp lol well they did a episode of Bogan hunters in Logan pub.

13. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Rockingham must not be to bad if Mark McGowan lives there I’m guessing he lives waterfront but still has to be in the area.

14. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip about Byford I did see it on the map looks nowhere near much closer to Armadale are there any decent estates close to anything for mid to high 200s I’m thinking established is the way to go the houses from the 90s early 2000s I personally think are built better and I knew nothing about double brick.

15. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Is Perth the only state to do double brick is it because of the soil or something someone was telling me I dunno.

16. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Yes double brick is a Perth thing.

Light, strong cheap. Pick any two.
    maybe Property type/ block size. location and price
    or capital gain. cash flow and price

"mid to high 200s"
    gets a small subdivided block in a ok ish suburb

A high $200k house and land package will be in an outer rim suburb with very little ie no chance of long term capital growth imho.

high $200k s might get a old 2/3x1 in Tuart Hill less than 10km from the CBD

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2020
  17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's because we have an abundance of materials to make the bricks and a great marketing campaign in the 80s that taught people in Perth to not trust framed construction.

Are you coming here to live? Just be aware that when you compare Sydney distances to Perth distances they are not the same. I know people that have bought PPORs in Perth (actually Mandurah) as they were happy with a 60-90min commute they had in Sydney and it's totally not normal here.

A lot of the builders have increased their prices and the grant is now basically non existant once you factor in the cost increases plus land increases.

If you really want to chase a grant then maybe consider an infill house that is being sold under construction as they do quality but I don't think the $20k grant is going past this year so you will just get the $15k downgraded federal grant plus any first home owner grants you qualify for.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hope you purchased in Waikiki as its had significant growth since you posted this thread

Leda anyone? Not watching this suburb

19. Gibaldi

Gibaldi New Member

I have just recently bought a 4 bed 2 bath house in Leda, it hasn't settled yet though.

MTR likes this.