LED Lights

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by geoffw, 1st Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I had LED lights put into my rental property which was built about two years ago.

I wouldn't recommend them. We are shortly going to replace them all.

I've had three failures so far- and these were lights bought from Project Lighting, not from Aldi.

Every time one fails, the electrician has to be called in. Three calls so far. To replace them with oyster lights would cost about the same as I have spent on electricians so far.

And using LED lamps in the oyster lights would probably not cost very much more for the tenant to run than dedicated LED lights.

2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Would it be worth contacting Project Lighting? Did they come with a warranty?

3. geoffw

Project Lighting have actually provided replacement lights twice. I still have to pay for the electrician.

I hope it's clear from my post- these are not LED bayonet type LED lights, these are purpose made LED lights.

At least I didn't also install them in my place as I was contemplating originally.

The IP is a granny flat, so replacement is not a big expense. Replacement in my PPOR would have been a yuge expense.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why do you need a sparx? Didn't you install unswitched GPOs in the ceiling ie plugged in rather than hard wired?

5. geoffw

I installed hard wired lights- on the misguided understanding that these things would last many years without needing replacement.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Is it the light? Or the transformer? I have had the old halogen down light transformers cark it on me. I have been LED down lights for 2 years. I have not had a globe fail but I have had 2 transformers fail in that time. I like the bright white light from LED lights. I just need to track down reliable transformers

geoffw likes this.
  7. geoffw

They aren't down lights- but that's a good question, one that I can ask.

If I put in standard light fittings but use LED removable bulbs I guess I won't have to worry about transformers.

Joynz and Perthguy like this.
  8. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

If you're having failures, then either the LED units are a faulty batch or they're being installed wrong.

When they're installed in a ceiling you still shouldn't pile on the insulation because they still need ventilation to keep cool. Not so much like halogen which will set your house on fire !

If they're on the same circuit as anything with an induction motor in it, you may have an increased failure rate too. Although I cant think why there would be an induction motor on a lighting circuit!

And as @Scott No Mates said, put outlets up there so you don't need a sparky.

Also go for the units that do not require a transformer. Less things to fail.

At some point in the not too distant future you wont be able to buy anything other than LED. Except maybe the ornamental filament bulbs and even those are now using tiny string CFL and LEDs.

Well made LED's will last 20 years but there is plenty of no name crap available off-the-shelf at Coles, Woolies and others to give them a bad name.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Ive got LED lights with no transformer in my PPOR. No issues at all for 18months.. love them.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

I can't believe you're having issues with LED's, as an electrician I love them, got LED everything. Most LED's have a running life of 20-50000 hours, your granny flat will probably fall down before the LED's give out, well not quite but you know what I mean.

there's certain types of LED downlights that are certified to be covered with insulation.

TadhgMor and Perthguy like this.