leaving your comfort zone

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by tomlemke, 23rd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a big day for me i quit my job as a plumber, i got this job at 16 and have been
    working in the industry for 8 years.
    Working with people twice my age for the same money, who blame the boss for how much they earn and why they can't afford to buy a house always made me feel different.
    My mindset is if theres a will, there is a way.

After reading 100's of books i released that you don't get rich from working for someone and that if you find something you love doing you'll never work another day in your life.
    So after being in europe, i realised it was time to set an end goal which is owning my own
    buyers agent company.
    After reaching out to a few B.A's on here they all suggested i become a Real estate agent first so i can learn how to sell, market, bring in clients and negotiate.

The first day back in australia i paid for the certificate of registration in real estate.
    I rang 3 real estate companies i had dealt with in the past, all 3 ended up offering me a job i took the job with the largest firm as i feel they have the best training.
    The agent that will be mentoring me has had 40 years in the industry and is also an ex tradesmen.

I start my new career as a real-estate agent on the 4th January, i have had one sales persons job when i was 14 when i worked at subway so this going to be a huge change.
    I picked a job as a sales agent because i feel that it will give me the best experience in marketing and sales experience to one day start my own buyers agencies company.
    A few people on here have stated that becoming a R.A is like starting your own business
    with having to establish your self in the community, get listings and enquiries you are making now might not eventuate till 3months down the track or even longer.

A lot of people are negative on the fact you earn 40k salary, i see this as a positive because if you were starting your own business you might not see a wage for years.

I would love to hear everybody's else stories when they have changed career paths or got out of your comfort zone.

jim1964, TimeFlies, eng and 19 others like this.
  2. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Congrats! and all the best:)

tomlemke likes this.
  3. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Sounds good to try something you are interested in. But why are you wanting to stop being a plumber?

4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Good stuff, time to learn, then earn.

My similar experience was going from an hourly rate as a builders labourer to buying into and running my own small biz as a concrete resurfacer, (spray on paving).
    That required advertising, getting leads, quoting jobs, closing sales (which I was bad at), doing the jobs, and still making a profit at the end of the day after all costs.
    Going into this with no experience was hard and I failed within a year I think, that was 12 yeas ago.
    Those uncomfortable experiences are gold though and the lessons learnt and increased determination to suceed pay off in the long run.

We are now earning close to 10 times the earnings we had back then, and about the equivalent amount from the properties which those earnings have purchased.

Getting out of your comfort zone definitely leads to massive growth as long as you persist.
    Time to get uncomfortable.

charttv, Bayview, Beanie Girl and 2 others like this.
  5. tomlemke

This is in no way to feed my ego I'm just hoping it might inspire someone else to step out there comfortZone

Beanie Girl, Phantom and MTR like this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If that is what you want, go for it....if your getting paid from day 1 then laughing, you can always go back !

tomlemke likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When I quit a high paying job to be involved in all things property related it was a big step for me and definitely out of my comfort zone but I knew I had to do it. It's the only way I was ever going to achieve anything great. Never looked back.

As Ace said, persist and never, ever give up on your dream. Anything worth doing is worth doing badly until you succeed.

Good on you buddy.

Last edited: 23rd Dec, 2015
    Jess Peletier and Phantom like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing

All the best.

tomlemke likes this.
  9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Kill it Tom.

I left a comfortable government job years back to start my business. I lost plenty of sleep - and doubt crept into my mind a number of times.

Now looking back - it was the best decision I've ever made. I never feel like I'm "working" - and the flexibility of self employment means I'm always around for my kids. I wouldn't have that luxury in a 9-5. My wife got to leave the rat race too - which is the icing on the cake.

All the best Tom - you've got all the attributes to make it.

Cheers

Jamie

jim1964, ellejay, Gingin and 2 others like this.
  10. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Congratulations @tomlemke very inspiring! Amazing what taking 'action' can do. Best of luck with the new role - I am sure it will all pay off!

tomlemke likes this.
  11. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Congrats Tom. Best wishes with your visions!!!

tomlemke likes this.
  12. tomlemke

My hearts just not in it, I have done my plumbing licence but i'am lacking the passion that i feel is needed to run a successful business.

13. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Are you going to do property management too? Hire a few other tradies and you can start an empire.

14. tomlemke

Thanks mate, Yeah exactly even if its minimum wage its still money coming in.

Thanks leo, i always love your posts I'm ready to learn how to accept rejection and continue to keep trying. I'am extremely determined to end up in a similar position to you.
    What job were you doing before the property related one, was it much of a change?

Thanks Ace, great motivation congratulations you should write a book,
    amazing how you went from a labourer to running your own business you obviously had great drive and determination. Do you still run this business?

Thanks Monalisa, i'm looking forward for when you put your story up : )

Thank you tranquil.

Thank you! from what your sister has told me its sounds like you guys have big things happening next year aswell.

Property Twins likes this.
  15. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Good on you Tom. That's a huge change and I'm sure you will love the new role as you definitely have the passion for anything property related.

tomlemke likes this.
  16. tomlemke

Iam sure ill get good exposure to everything that happens in a real estate company. Gotta master the coffee run first :cool:

Jess Peletier likes this.
  17. tomlemke

Thanks for the kind words jamie, if i can one day create half the business you have i'll know i have done well.
    All the little things you do like scratchies at christmas time and birthday cards are something that i will defiantly carry on for my business.

18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Good on you Tom - If you live within your comfort zone, you've plateaued and that's kinda like being dead if you let it persist. Enjoy the challenge for all it's worth! It's exciting :)

19. blackenator

blackenator Well-Known Member

Good on ya Tom much respect for chasing your dreams. Wish you best of luck on your journey.
    I actually traveled to Thailand this year on my own this year and was nervous as hell but was the best holiday I ever had I guess if I hadn't stepped out of my comfort zone I wouldn't of had that experience. Look forward to hearing your first success story of your first sale :)

Property Twins likes this.
  20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Congratulations Tom