Leaving the fiancé at the altar for man of your dreams

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Valentino, 26th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Valentino

Valentino Well-Known Member

Hi all
    We are two weeks out from settlement on buying a PPOR. It "addresses our needs" and is a pragmatic choice. However today we have seen a home that is the love at first sight, and it is bigger and a better area with better views and closer to our work.
    Ironically it is the very house I had thought I'd want to buy when we were looking though it wasn't for sale.. should have door knocked!!!

It's up for auction on Tuesday if not sold prior. It's has offers 60k less than we got our one.

We also own two other homes.

How can we buy the new one? It's like leaving your fiancé when you meet man of dreams.

My thought is we settle on new one, Reno it and reval and rent it out.
    Put other two up for sale. None of which possible at auction by Tuesday. Only if sold prior to give us time to sort finance.

Or- sell new one immediately if vendor let us buy and long setttlement.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you try to buy it before auction with a long enough settlement (60 or 90 days) to allow you time to get one or more listed?

Can you afford to settle in two weeks and rent it out immediately and still afford the other one?

It all depends on your capacity to get loans and cover the repayments.

I'm not suggesting you do this, and there is risk involved, but it is one idea. You could speak with a broker from here to flesh out some options.

Valentino likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you are thinking of reneging on the contract you have that is still to settle, then you need good legal advice of the consequences.

If you intend to bid on the new property as well (and bearing in mind that auction sale prices are often considerably higher than the offer range) then you need advice from your bank or broker as to whether you can afford another property.
    Marg

Valentino likes this.
  4. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

I would say
    1) put in a highish pre-auction offer subject to sale of the current one when it settles.
    2) Or just cross your fingers the property passes in and doesnt sell.
    3) Just be happy with what you have.

But it looks like you are from NSW and if its a Sydney auction probably option 3) :p

Valentino and Gockie like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

And next time.... at the time between going unconditional till the time of settlement, close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears, turn off all email alerts, ignore all advertising and be blissfully unaware of every other property coming onto the market.
    Maybe even escape interstate. :)

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2016
  6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Or just not settle on the property #1 and await the notice to complete, buy you another 2 weeks.

Note that if you are in NSW and fail to complete, the vendor will keep your deposit and can sue you for any difference in resale. If you really dont want property 1 and secure property 2, you can do a deed of nomination to another party that the agent may be able to find to complete the contract. Bear in mind this will attract a double stamp duty situation in NSW though.

7. Valentino

Valentino Well-Known Member

Haha so true! Investment property is easy because rational and logical but buying a PPOR is hard because my perfectionism kicks in!

Gockie likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia