Leasing Roof Space

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by kmrr, 26th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kmrr

kmrr Well-Known Member

Has anyone leased roof space to a telecommunications company for 4g or 5g coverage or perhaps even some other type of coverage?

How would one go about researching their ability to provide space or find out of there is a need for space/additional coverage? Has anyone got any experience in this space or advice they could share?

Is there anything else roof space can be leased for too?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check the RFNSA website for towers or sites near your building - it may already be at saturation.

If you haven't been approached already, the site doesn't meet their search criteria.

Stoffo and kmrr like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

kmrr and Archaon like this.
  4. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Perhaps solar harvesting?

Stoffo likes this.
  5. kmrr

kmrr Well-Known Member

good to know this resource exists! thanks for that.

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I looked at this when buying a unit (otp:oops:) a few years back, I tried to buy the roof space above my top floor unit, but it seemed "all to hard" for the developer to get his head around......

Bonus could have been that in the short term I could have had Solar panels up there, longer term (10-25 years) might have been that there is a possibility of putting another level or three on top (the building was originally designed to be higher, and there's ample extra car spaces due to this) so the Body Corporate would have had to compensate me for the roof space if I owned it :cool:

kmrr likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Same with signage. Companies like Ohhh! media will identify blank spaces and approach owners of suitable spaces incl building sides, roofs etc but they want something unobstructed with traffic volumes stuck at lights. I have a client who owns a rental car agency with a prominent city roadway intersection and a huge blank wall. They initially installed a billboard for around $110K a year and then changed it to multiple video panels years later and the price has risen. Others have equired and compete and that helps push bids up. Its hard to negotiate otherwise as they are the best offer and it doesnt come with any costs other than power. You pay for power. They do the rest. Initial costs are significant so they want renewal. Another former client did get caught on another site when the media company folded and left a old school paper billboard they didnt update or pay for. Sat idle for years. They ended up chasing a competitor and persuded them to take it over but they didnt offer much. Council approvals take time too.

The roofspace is usually common property. May help to defer some strata costs for all owners. It is assessable income to the strata however.

kmrr likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia