Leasing property with separate granny flat.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Sci-fi, 7th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sci-fi

Sci-fi Member

Hi, I’m not sure if anyone can help? I’m a tenant in Nsw and rent a house that also has a granny flat on the property, we are both separate don’t know each other only share the common driveway, I just received my first electricity bill and I noticed both metres are on my bill, when I rang my energy provider they said the granny flat address doesn’t exist and that both metre numbers have 1 NMI attached to the house I’m renting, I do not know the tenant renting gf, I spoke to my PM who is trying to sort this out but in the meantime I am paying for two properties and stressed, I looked on myettrs box st the front and can see two metres but there obviously both attached to my house so really doesn’t matter if there separately metres because there’s only one NMI, there’s no electricity line going to GF, that tenant is not paying nothing, how do I fix this? I’m just the tenant.

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Has the granny flat at least got a sub meter (and did the Lessor/Agent take meter readings?) so you can determine how much usage its used?

Unfortunately this is very poor form by the Lessor/Agent. You are now stuck with a bill in your name and no easy way to claw back the money from the other party or the Lessor should they simply decide not to reimburse you.

3. Sci-fi

Sci-fi Member

Yes

4. Sci-fi

Sci-fi Member

Yes there are two metres in the box but only one NMI If that makes sense?

5. Sci-fi

Sci-fi Member

How do I get the landlord to fix this? Who’s responsibility is the bill for both property’s? And can I claim compensation? There is two metre boxes but only one NMI so technically the granny flat doesn’t exist?

6. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

If agent is not making genuine effort to resolve, Ombudsman ...

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Notify the PM that you intend to take the matter to the tenant tribunal.
    That should get the PM to treat the matter seriously.
    Unless the tenancies are metered and charged separately, the landlord probably can’t get you to pay for electricity.
    It should not be up to you to get money from another tenant, if anything, that should be the PM’s responsibility.
    Marg

8. Sci-fi

Sci-fi Member

Thanks so much, two metres in the box but only one NMI and both metres charged to me, I appreciate your response.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem, one house (previously 2 separate units) but 2 meters & 2 NMIs - the way the metering should have been done for 2 dwellings.

Problem is the tenant's as they pay 2 lots of service charges (extra $300+ per annum).

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  10. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

The fact that there are 2 meters in your electricity box doesn't mean it's actually 2 separate meters that you are paying for. One could be the off-peak meter. The GF may not have had a sub-box setup.

Does the GF look like a professionally built GF? Or one of those old detached garage type ones that was converted into a GF?

11. Marg4000

Or, one evening when granny flat lights are on, go to your meter box and switch the power off for a few minutes. If the lights in the granny flat go off as well, you will know that there is no separation of electricity supply.
    Marg

12. Sci-fi

Sci-fi Member

It’s two separate metres definitely as they are labeled however I’ve just been informed not done correctly, yes professionally done granny flat, the problem is not the two metres it’s problem is one NMI and not two, I spoke to fair trading who said it should be in landlord name and he then should read both metres and charge accordingly but PM said she trying for a different outcome?

13. Sci-fi

Sci-fi Member

Yes exactly two NMI is how it’s supposed to be done.

14. Sci-fi

Sci-fi Member

Yeah done this there all connected to my house I’m renting, it’s a nightmare,

15. Scott No Mates

Flick their breakers - a great opportunity to meet your neighbour.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  16. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Almost certainly illegal to be renting the granny flat out separately from the main house, that's why there's no provision for a separate meter.

17. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Fair Trading is spot on here.

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  18. Scott No Mates

It is permissible in NSW but not always in Qld. No idea about other states.

19. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Small cost just get a sparky in to disconnect the granny flat, and if they come knocking say don't know anything about it contact your property manager + get off my property, hahahaha.

Phoenix Pete and Marg4000 like this.
  20. Marg4000

Then tell the PM of the advice from Fair Trading, and that a “different outcome” is unacceptable and probably illegal.

Tell the PM in writing that you want the electricity changed to the landlords name, or you will go to the tribunal and request a full refund of all electricity bills you have paid. While the account is in your name, you are responsible for all charges.

Sounds as if the PM is taking the easy way out by doing nothing.
    Marg

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia