Lease - pet clauses

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Keentolearn77, 3rd Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

So now the new tenancy act allows pets in properties.
    I requested a condition of the leases pet conditions to include - on departure of tenancy that tenants provide receipt from professional steam cleaning company that all carpets cleaned / deodorised & flea treated.
    My rental manager has advised- The Pet Claus is all written and per the Tenancy Act, we cannot alter or edit it. is that correct..... (if landlord & tenant agree - surely that should be able to be included in a signed agreement.....
    Why has the tenancy act been done without the above included, as this is just another thing in the negative to the landlord

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I think only one state allows a term like that. Otherwise as a nearly universal rule, lessors can't mandate what has to be done in terms of making the premises "reasonably clean".

Tom Rivera and jared7825 like this.
  3. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

There is something in the new legislation that covers this, but you need to provide evidence on the entry report that you had it professionally cleaned.

it would be unfair otherwise

housechopper2 likes this.
  4. JoannaK

JoannaK Well-Known Member

In NSW we can (and do) insert a clause in the lease about carpet cleaning and pest treatment as a condition of a tenant being allowed to have a pet - the legislation allows for this. I’m not sure about other states though.

5. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Why are you inserting a clause about carpet cleaning and pest treatment when there is already a standard clause in the lease for exactly the same thing.

See Clause 45.1

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So that the new clause can be struck out St tribunal and the owner left with their pants down. :rolleyes:

7. JoannaK

JoannaK Well-Known Member

You might mean clauses 54 and 55....clause 45 deals with pools.

I insert additional conditions because the REI lease is not specific enough when it says "if cleaning is required", and it doesn't deal with pest control for flees etc.

8. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

No, the clause I was referring to is from the REI NSW 2016 version. The ADL up-to-date version is clauses 53-56.

Both the REI version and ADL version specifically mention professional carpet cleaning and fumigation.. but yes, there is no mention of flea treatment.. This is yet another deficiency of the NSW Tenancy Laws...

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice