lease period for brand new tenant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 29th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Hmm ... this is of a lot of interest to me.
    I have suffered from a terrible tenant before (exacerbated by terrible pm), so I am very concerned about this kind of thing. I have made it a point to chase up the PM at every point to avoid this as much as possible, but the 6 month lease with option to re-let seems like a really good idea. If there are no problems, it should not have any effect on anyone because they will still re-sign if they are happy staying there.

Appreciate the information and will spend some time thinking about it for the future - thanks.

kierank and Kassy like this.
  2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

@Anthony Brew, it can just come down to luck. Don't let it put you off. Probably good for us as it was our old ppor and we were a bit 'attached' still. It got sorted in the end, the agent got them out, we got most of the bond, repaired and moved on...

Anthony Brew likes this.
  3. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

:eek:

It's just like a job interview. You never really know until you have experience with them.

Poor you, must have been pretty stressed out.

4. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Does the agent have access to check criminal history?

Another question, Does the agents actually bother calling their references? I'll be more interested hearing from people they did not put down as references. The fact they put it down you are unlikely to get a realistic view. For example, if they are currently renting, and didn't put down existing agent as reference. Could the agent contact their existing agent?

5. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Good question - makes me want to get the application from the PM and ring up and do the checks myself lol (only half kidding btw)

giraffez likes this.
  6. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Don't know about the criminal history checks. My PM definitely called the referees in this case and they worked locally. Once the tenants left, no one checked their reference with her though.

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Not very appealing unless a clause for rent increases & as others say, probably not initially.

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member