Sports & Fitness Learn to unicycle Parramatta

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 23rd Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Ellie :)
    I guess once a unicyclist, always a unicyclist? She says she gets onto hers maybe once a year to check she can still ride it! She got onto mine (the 24" one I ride the majority of the time) and really liked it. She has two herself (an Aldi one and her original Swiss one). Maybe they don't make the same wheel size as the Swiss one anymore? It's a very narrow 27.5" one I think, the tire resembles a road bike tire. And the seat is an interesting diamond shape, not a peanut shape that I'm used to. No handle in the front! It has a leather seat but it's all been completely taped up with plastic tape from all the falls!

And on a different note. Now that I know another volleyballer who rides a unicycle, tonight i've given a basic spare Aldi one to this player. :)

Re: wheel grab mount....look at YouTube :)

Last edited: 27th May, 2018
  2. Gockie

3. Gockie

I gave a unicycle to my neighbours maybe 9 days ago. The boy who hadn't ridden before (about 11 years old) can now already ride... he has some steering/direction control and he can dismount and he can occasionally freemount too.... omg...

ps. He can do wheelies on his bike so I figured his parents would be ok with me giving them a unicycle. Plus the dad was talking about getting a unicycle for himself anyway!

Pps. I was demonstrating riding, pausing, hopping then riding again to the family. Did it once then I tried to show them a second time. The second time turned out to be a very good demonstration of why I always wear gloves :)
    FB_IMG_1530138573375.jpg

Last edited: 30th Jun, 2018
    TwoDogs likes this.
  4. Gockie

20180726_133114.jpg Bike riding stacks can be worse... (also stuffed one of my gear shifters).
    Sunday morning I was riding down a hill navigating a corner on my mountain bike.... don't know what happened but I landed on top of my bike.
    Luckily when I stacked I was wearing long pants, a cardigan (still lost pretty significant skin from an elbow), riding gloves.... 20180726_130432.jpg 20180723_105110.jpg 20180723_181755.jpg

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2018
  5. Gockie

Update: The Neighbours kid... he is already at my level!!!!
    He can ride, hop and ride... he can do very good turns....
    I've given him a few more ideas of other skills to gain... no doubt he'll nail them quickly....

6. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Stick to unicycles. Those two wheeled machines are the Devil's creation and will be be death of you!

7. Gockie

Leg is getting better!
    And my neighbour kid? He's a better unicyclist than me already o_O:eek:

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Legless again? ;-)

9. Gockie

So I decided to buy a new unicycle....
    This wheel seriously comes up to my hip and it doesn't fit into an Ikea bag....:eek:

Update: took it home and realise with that frame I won’t be able to ride it, it’s too big :(
    I do have a backup plan but I will have to buy another frame for it.:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: 12th Sep, 2018
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

:) So basically another new unicycle

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Or two halves of a new bicycle?

12. TwoDogs

Looks like a KH 36, or a bit smaller? Big wheel. If you can't fit on, consider cutting the seat post to lower the seat and also getting shorter cranks. Shorter cranks on a 36 might be hard work. For those with a, hmmm, shorter stature, the Nimbus night-fox solves this with a different sort of frame. Don't think would work with KH wheel.

13. Gockie

Yes, it's a KH36. Huge wheel, comes up to my hip. It's supposed to work with a 77cm inseam, but I'm sure they are lying! I am not keen to ride it on super short cranks either because I'm sure it would end in disaster. Also I think cutting the frame would be a shame. Plus it can't actually be cut that much.

So yes, I'd like to get my hands on a nightfox frame, it should be perfect for me but it will need to work with the hub.

Last edited: 13th Sep, 2018
  14. Gockie

Sort of....
    This reminds me..... FB_IMG_1536572411953.jpg

EN710, TwoDogs and geoffw like this.
  15. TwoDogs

Can't you just cut seat post shorter, not the frame of course, get the seat as low as possible ?

16. TwoDogs

BTW , how did you come by this new toy?

17. Gockie

I'd have to cut both, trust me, it seems that my legs really are too short. I've got it set so the seat is right down to the frame and there's still no way I'm going to be able to pedal it.
    Dave Cottram told me about this Facebook group.... how lucky am I to find it listed there though? :)
    Going onto gumtree you never find any good unis. Screenshot_20180914-055754_Messenger.jpg

So anyway, would you happen to be in the market for the KH 36 frame, or know anybody who is?

Last edited: 15th Sep, 2018
  18. TwoDogs

One day for sure, but prefer to work my up. Next is a 29". Also, I'm not near many good cycle paths and a 36" is too fast and not suited to the local crappy footpaths and nasty roads. Bit limited where to ride a 36, but a 29 is more manoeuvrable and with the right tyre could be better urban uni. Faster than the 24 and better at bumps but still OK for slow speed and rough roads. Well, that's my theory anyhow.

Ask Dave, Paul or Chris as the Unicycle Club, they must have some ideas on the frame.

BTW, great find, well done.

Gockie likes this.
  19. Gockie

29" is definitely a good idea....
    Big but not stupidly big :)
    I reckon I couldn't go slow on it though.

20. TwoDogs

There is still hope, here's a 9 year riding a 36"". That must have been some serious hacksaw work to get her on.