Sports & Fitness Learn to unicycle Parramatta

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 23rd Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep. Now I'm onto learning to freemount and elegantly dismounting. Inside legs are getting sore from the constant friction....

2. Gockie

Eva - for you!

addventageous_1

EN710 likes this.
  3. Gockie

Hmmm.. yep. (Mild) inner thigh bruising from working on the skills of freemounting and elegantly dismounting....

4. Gockie

Why did it take me 11 weeks to figure out I have the perfect learn to ride space at my lower balcony at home? 20171001_130145.jpg

EN710 likes this.
  5. Gockie

Ouch. :( I just wish I wore something with sleeves. A very nice shoulder graze. :( I was trying to ride someone else's bigger and faster unicycle and I just lost control....

But on the positive side, a lot of good came out of this evening's unicycle meetup.
    1. I met @TwoDogs today :)
    2. I got a random guy to come along to try unicycling, i'm sure he'll pick it up quickly as he used to balance on wine barrels
    3. I chatted with a 13 yo unicycling gal who played volleyball for her state in her home country and she's keen to play volleyball more. Her face lit up when we chatted and I told her about some volleyball opportunities :). 20171006_174001.jpg
    So... all good. Just the arm is now stinging!

TwoDogs and EN710 like this.
  6. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

It sure did look painful...

Nice to meet you too, and I thought wow, what great progress in a short time. Free mount technique looked just fine to me, not that I really know.

Friendly people there at Parramatta who are just so good with unicycles, and the kids are just amazing to see how fearlessly they ride.

Gockie likes this.
  7. Gockie

Definitely a friendly bunch of people! And the kids are such good riders.
    While sleeves would have been great, glad I didn't have spaghetti straps on my top or else I would have lost much more skin...

8. Gockie

Crusted over.... I haven't volleyballed during the past week nor unicycled. Still hurts to put my arm near my ear, its due to the location of the injury and the scar tissue imo. Who knew it would cause that?

Attached Files:

9. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Ouch,,, that does look sore. It may be in a place where the skin is stretches on your arm's movements.

Toughen up, you are a unicyclist now.

Not that I feel so tough right now, over did it big time today with a Sydney Olympic Park

While it's quite flat there with no significant hard bits, a 32km ride is double my previous longest, and the knees are reminding me of my age. A lot. And unlike your scar, old knees do not heal... :(

And, how could I have known today was the Spring Cycle Challenge? How many times did I have to smile at the "you're missing a wheel" from one of our thousands of two-wheeled cousins? Staying polite, that was a challenge !

The best bits were around the bird sanctuary and around and around and around the spiral hill, what a view!
    upload_2017-10-15_21-20-26.png

Last edited: 15th Oct, 2017
    Gockie likes this.
  10. Gockie

Holy moly. 32km and 3 hours of unicycling! Champion :)
    Shoulder - scar tissue is now coming off and I played my first volleyball game since the accident. Now I've got the full movement back, it's definitely the part of skin that really gets wrinkled together. I can appreciate this now...
    I'll get back on the unicycle this week, I hadn't been on it the whole of last week...

11. Gockie

Ohhh!!! Getting better!

Hadn't done anything for nearly 2 weeks, but:
    * Friday started riding around with a hockey stick
    * Learnt to hop. Still need to learn to transition from hopping to riding and vice versa though.

And today on my brilliant balcony... successfully freemounted around 50% of the time. The thing I'm not so happy with that is, a lot of the time I don't go completely in the direction I planned to go after the freemount so that part needs work.

Without this skill, I can't ride in a place with too many pedestrians or hazards.

12. Gockie

Feeling good! I did a really good session on Friday night, improving the freemounting.

Today I did some more on my balcony. I'm trying to master idling, I think that will take me some time (at least 5 hours or longer) to master. But it's such a useful skill, and with that I think doing transitions from riding to hopping and vv. will benefit too. I'm also assuming I will eventually "get it"... but at this stage, who knows.

The other things I'm wanting to improve on are being able to deal with hills, bumps, holes. But as long as there's some progress in some areas, it's all good.

And a tip... along with a top covering my shoulders, I need good butt cushioning, gloves and pants that cover the knees. I've stacked it a few times but no extra grazes. Yay! Some very big and sore bruises though.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Aldi's catalogue for Sat 9/12/17 has a unicycle and stand for sale for $60.

14. Gockie

How cheap is that?
    Warning - I think the cranks aren't brilliant, they aren't very high quality. But for $60....

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It doesn't have brakes! :eek:

Professor Plum at Crows Nest sell them but not the cheapies.

16. Gockie

17. Gockie

This was my first good solid session in 3 weeks after being overseas the last 2 Fridays. Omg! So happy! I am happy with my freemounting (something has made sense) :)

I am now happy to go for a level 1 certificate. (there are 10 levels altogether!) :eek:

Now I'm working on:
    * Idling
    * Freemounting with the wrong foot (btw. This feels very wrong. I think this can wait.)
    * Riding over bumps (Speed hump type bumps are quite scary)
    * Riding, pausing, then standing on the pedals, then hopping/jumping/bouncing up and down, then riding again.

Edit. Add sharp turns to the left and to the right for next set of skills to develop. This is important!

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2017
  18. Gockie

Doing good. :)
    Riding around my block which is a 1.2km trip according to Google maps. There's some good slopes on it, ups and downs. The thing I suck at though is corners.
    I also uni'ed to the election on Saturday and back. Nice challenges. It was in 32 degree heat and I could feel the sweat dripping down my neck.

At the local school I saw these ~4m diameter circles painted on the ground (for kids dancing) but sadly I couldn't trace the circle, my turns are not tight enough.

Sometime I am sure I will be able to do it...

Last edited: 17th Dec, 2017
  19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Take off one pedal, and you will be going in circles quick enough.

Or, if you really want to go round in circles and get nowhere, but some units in Sydney now :p:p:p

20. Gockie

There are a bunch of people who can ride one footed though...

Re: units: One mob reckons there is still an undersupply of housing in Sydney! New households will form if there is the supply. At the moment there's still a lot of young adults living with parents.