Leaking shower in apartment - is it covered under BC insurance? VIC

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by imbi3, 2nd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. imbi3

imbi3 Well-Known Member

Few weeks ago, a tenant living downstairs from my sister's unit reported a leaking - which now confirmed is from my sister's shower. The building is still under builder's warranty however she just found out that previous owner has done reno to the shower and therefore she was told it is not the builder's fault.
    Will this be covered under body corporate insurance?

2. Matthew Savage

Matthew Savage Well-Known Member

This will depend on the insurer. If there has been a renovation done then your sister should be responsible for the leak repair cost (re-waterproofing, tiling etc). I expect that insurance should kick in for the resultant damage (plasterboard ceiling below, cornice etc). The insurance won't cover the whole cost, but may cover part.

Your sister would need to get the shower repaired ASAP to prevent further damage. If the insurer does not offer any cover then I expect that your sister would be liable for the repair AND the resultant damage, which would be expensive for your sister, so the sooner the leak is fixed, the better.

If there is a body corporate/strata manager, they should be versed on the insurance for that building. Cheers, Matt

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Building insurance generally only covers leaks from pressurised pipes not leaks from drains etc. A failed waterproof membrane may be an owners corp issue though if it forms part of common property when the strata plan was created.