Lazy property manager

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Matche, 26th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matche

Matche Active Member

Is it normal that the property mangers take ages to get the thing done and take long time to response to the landlord? I am using a property manager to look after my rental property, it seems that he doesn't really care my queries and very slow in responding me. I call him, but hard to get in touch with him. I email him, take few days to get an answer. Is there any way I can improve this situation?

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Are things being done?
    Is it just communication or are things being missed?

3. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

If they are slow a couple of times I would let it go because we are all just human after all. However, if it is consistently like this, it is a sign that they are either too busy or not interested in providing you good service - both of which are not acceptable - and I would go ahead and look for someone else.

Lil Skater, Colin Rice and Pumpkin like this.
  4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

This is quite unbelievable.
    We emailed our Investors as soon as something happens or worth reporting, and seldom get any response back.
    If I receive any emails or phone enquiry, I would immediately reply, if not in 24 hours. Sometimes just to acknowledge receipt and full report later. Its not that hard and doesn't take long. Can't understand your PM really. Tend to agree with Anthony.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  5. Eugene82

Eugene82 Well-Known Member

I had a PM like that. I let it go and it grew into much bigger problems with the place being trashed. So I recommend looking for a new PM

Anthony Brew likes this.
  6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Call / email to discuss your concerns and if not resolved quickly then move on and get a professional to look after your assets. There is to much at stake.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  7. Matche

Matche Active Member

More details about my situation, I bought a unit and the seller rent it back. Both sales agent and PM are from the same company. The lease term is set for three months. I believe that's why PM is so slow, as it's not big money for them. The lease term started already but I haven't received the ingoing inspection report yet(which he promised he would send me one). Considering the short lease term, I properly won't change the PM. If it getting worse, can I talk to Fair Trading about this? Or, nothing much I can do, just keep pushing them?

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

The PM isn't slow because the lease term is short, the PM is slow because they simply don't care. It's a very common scenario with regard to communication and why we have a 24 hour communication guarantee. At the end of the day, PM is mostly about customer service and very little to do with property. Sure, a PM needs to know daily workflows and have legislative knowledge but the interaction with landlords, tenants and suppliers makes the fundamental difference between a good PM and bad PM.

Speak to the principal about your concerns and if it doesn't improve, change PM. I wouldn't worry about the lease term, it's not related to the management agreement, unless you're right in the middle of letting a property which is a slightly different scenario. In this case, it doesn't sound like it though.

9. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with Colin, responding to IP owner concerns should be almost immediate or take no longer than 24 hours, its common courtesy.

Last edited by a moderator: 7th May, 2017
    Colin Rice likes this.
  10. babyboomer1

babyboomer1 Well-Known Member

I would make record of when you have contacted them and the reply or non reply . I would then contact the principal and ask if we can expect an improvement or is it better if you find another agent assuming that you will be continuing the lease if not remind him that you will not be recommending him to any one else.

11. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Would not even bother. Why waste your time with this nonsense? I would just find someone else.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If you have plenty of choices, just find a company that suits you.

Yep, it is really about people management, bricks and timber have no feeling, emotion or expectation.

Know how to deal with people effectively and your on a winner (as long as you can add up as well) :):D

MyPropertyPro likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia