Layout for a large open lounge/living/dining

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Lucy2801, 22nd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lucy2801

Lucy2801 Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for inspiration for furniture configuration to break up a large open plan lounge/living/dining. The house is a new build and right now the room looks huge... but empty. Photo attached, at the moment they have a TV against the highlighted solid wall with a couch in front of it, a dining table in the 'dining room', but no other furniture. It feels like walking into a boring white shell.

The long wall is almost all windows which we will get floor to ceiling sheer curtains on ASAP.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've done a very low tech mark up. I'd fill the corner near front entry with a small table and two chairs, or a plant and chair combo.

Dining table near the kitchen, and a big L-shaped couch with a spare chair and coffee table where the TV would go.

You might not need the extra seating in the corner, or could put something else there if it looks bare.

The important thing will be to get the scale of the furniture to look right, not too big, not too small.

If you take the plan with dimensions into a furniture store, I reckon they could help with scale.

Attached Files:

Lucy2801, Lizzie, Propin and 2 others like this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How you furnish your home will depend on your personal style. Do you prefer business/clutter or space/minimalism?

I suspect the current styling is designed to trick you into believing the area is larger than it really is. It will magically seem not as large once your own furniture and a rug and a lamp and a couple of pot plants go in.

Make sure there is a clear line to walk between the furniture zones to access the doors onto the deck.

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2021
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Did you design the house and want the area to be open?

If not, I would run a wall from the left of the solid wall to level with the entry area to semi-partition off a separate living area.

Then the remaining area would become a family room / dining area.

Much more liveable. Having two living areas adjacent seems unworkable.

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I like Wyllie’s design! We have a large room. My hubby watches more TV then me and I like to chill with my plants and/or dog, phone and not watch TV. I’d put a row of plants on a low coffee table and add a seat facing plants. I guess you’ve got to like plants though! We have sheer blinds on one window. I love being able to look out to the garden.

Attached Files:

6. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Is the window on the front (same wall as entry door) to the floor?

If not, could a piece of furniture go under window?

I would consider some form of screen/display shelving to the right of the entry door, to screen off walking into the room and seeing everything all at once.

Depends on who’s living in the home - age of any children?

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2021
  7. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Excuse the horrendous markup but I’d do something like this. I know I’ve put the TV not on a solid wall but you could just leave the blind down behind the TV. On the solid wall I’d put a huge awesome painting or something.

Attached Files:

Lucy2801 likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Only you - and/or anyone you engage to help - can decided how to furnish the area.

There are numerous questions - how many will live in the house - ages of occupants - personal furniture style (ie, modern, traditional, minimalist, overstuffed, rustic etc)

Have a look thru websites such as Temple and Webster - and any other home furniture places that you have found appealed in the past - find the style your like, find the sizes of the furniture you like.

Then draw yourself a scale plan (ie, 1m on the plan = 10cm on the page) - draw and cut out the furniture/plants etc you think you'd use, to the same scale - and then move the "furniture" around the page until you find a position in which it works - or not (and then find something else).

If you feel technical and want to plan on the computer, then Sketchup is brilliant (lots of "how to" videos on youtube) but you can only get a 1 month trial - otherwise Floorplanner, which is more clumsy but still does the trick.

Free 3D Modeling Software | 3D Design Online | SketchUp Free Subscription

Floorplanner - Create 2D & 3D floorplans for real estate, office space or your home.

Personally I'm a Sketchup addict, and bought the program - which has proven invaluable for designing my "to be self-installed" kitchen

kitchen ikea.png
    kitchen.png

Propin likes this.