laundry vs store room apart

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by oneone, 21st Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

I've got a small 2bdr apartment looking for reno later on.
    Is it worth considering removing the bathtub, using that space as laundry (add dryer/washer section). Then the current laundry (small, next to toilet) convert to storage ?

The current 'storage' space is a wall wardrobe the left from the entrance (where the sign 'tv' is). I was thinking of changing this to mini mudroom/landing space, with shoe rack, side wardrobe for coats, hooks for hats/bags etc.

it comes down to what do ppl prefer these days ?
    bathtub vs stand alone laundry (small) vs more storage in apartments ?

bathroomlaundry.jpg

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If its an apartment the strata will want to approve it. If its a wet area you may get a refusal.
    Council may still need to approve it. eg what happens to the open drain ? Strata wont want you sealing it.

The dryer / washer would need power ? That may not comply with the existing shower ?

3. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

i could keep the 'laundry' as a tiled room. Keep the drain uncovered, block up the piping where the current taps are. Wouldn't that technically still be a 'wet' area ? But with shelves.

I hadn't thought about the wiring. Not sure it helps but there are power points on side opposite the bathtub. What do you mean about 'complying with shower' ?

Or could change position of shower to the 'bath tub', put the washer/dryer in the corner ?