Laundry reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cimbom, 18th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Before moving back into our IP, we'd like to do a basic reno to the laundry. I'd like to get rid of the ugly laundry trough (those all in one type units) and put in 1-2 flat pack cabinets (Ikea etc type) and have a new sink and tap put in on top. This will be on a laminate benchtop that would extend to also fit the washing machine and dryer underneath. We will put in some shelving on the wall on top.

I was just wondering what happens to the washing machine taps/hose when this is done? In all the pics I've seen, you can't see the washing machine taps so I presume they have been moved to underneath the benchtop. Is this right? Would this be expensive to do?

We will put together the cabinet/s ourselves and will buy the benchtop and sink together so the hole can be pre-cut. Would the rest of this be able to be done by a general handyman or would we need a plumber as well? I presume we would if the taps are moved but probably also to install the sink and taps.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have done this and you will definitely need a plumber. I actually made the cabinet from left over kitchen parts (gumtree kitchen). I cut down the bench and installed the sink but I needed a plumber for the mixer for the laundry trough. I didn't get the taps moved because taps in a cupboard in a rental are not ideal.

One tip when you cut the hole for the sink is to run PVA glue around the cut. I put on a thick layer that got soaked up by the particle board. I put on another coat and let it dry before dropping in the sink.

The reason I seal the particle board is that it is a potential source of water ingress. I have demoed too many cabinets that were damaged by water ingress at this point.

Cimbom likes this.
  3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Thanks. Did the washing machine hose go behind the benchtop? Did you need to cut a spot on the bench for the hose to go through? I'm just trying to picture it.

It will be our PPOR for the near future and I think we'd sell if we had to move interstate again.

4. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

You can just cap the existing WM water points and install combi valves under the trough. They go on the water points for the trough mixer.

Cimbom likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is how our laundry is at home. Taps are inside the cupboard. Power point also inside the cupboard.

Washing machine hose also goes through another hole cut in the side and straight into the laundry tub waste pipe.

Cimbom likes this.
  6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia