Technology & Social Media Latest and greatest phones...Why?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hammer, 27th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nadine Cross

Nadine Cross Well-Known Member

I had to get a new phone after losing the last one, and got a Samsung S8..pretty good, and picture quality is terrific (main reason why I selected it).

2. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

nexus and pixel phone ftw...
    i dont buy a new phone every year but i buy a new phone when i like the new features. and thats why i dont buy iphones.. same thing every year..

oh btw if your a video consumer especially in the toilet

front facing stereo speakers FTW.

judging by the portfolio of the people in this forum.. its only $1000 a year.. xD

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

My wife says a similar thing - something about me listening to her.... :eek:

The Y-man

Nadine Cross likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Because they can:)

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Ha!

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I decided the top of the line Galaxy or iPhone wasn't worth it when I had to get a screen replaced. At $100 it wasn't bad. At $250+ it really became a problem. $250 phone which requires a $200 screen replacement becomes a disposable item. And a $250 phone doesn't lack that much as compared with an $800 phone - at least not enough for that amount extra.

I'm not particularly flush with cash

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Because we have moved past the animal survival stage of simple needs for survival and have actualised into conscious wants.

Quite simply we want it because we can!

And that’s an awesome space to be in. A want is higher than a need.

MTR likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Most things we buy/spend money on nowadays besides the obvious necessities are 'wants'. That's the whole point of being in a financially strong position for us - to buy back our freedom and be able to get whatever 'wants' we desire, be it more time with family, laze on the couch or spend big on a toy etc.

'Wants' are a hell-of-alot of fun! .

MTR and Xenia like this.
  9. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

I find phones slow down with every app or OS update. I know Apple got busted for doing it intentionally, but I wouldn't be surprised if Google did something similar and just haven't been caught yet. That's why I don't update apps or OS unless I have to anymore.

Having said that, I love tech and upgrade my phone every second generation anyway. Why? Because I can. (Yes, I realise I'm probably THE guy marketing teams target but at least it's a conscious decision to be exploited :)

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My point:)

Sackie and Xenia like this.
  11. The Y-man

I don't think any of my Nokias get updates anymore.... :oops:

The Y-man

12. Guest

Guest Guest

As someone on the device for around 1.5 hours every weekday, undoubtedly. That's around 500 hours per year staring at the screen, considering an upgrade cycle of once every 2 years for the latest and greatest it works out to perhaps an additional $1/hour usage over it's life span and typically holds it's value much better than the cheaper models when selling it.

I can understand how a light user would not see the benefit.

13. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Pixel phones, so far the best I have seen. Samsung can hype the galaxies as much as they want but they don't make the android OS. Me being a techie like to update to the latest OS as quickly as possible and Pixel makes sure I get that update before anyone else does. And with a Samsung there is no guarantee you will ever get that latest android patch because they put so much clutter of their own on top of android. I hate it when I want to use chrome on my phone but I can't uninstall the Samsung inbuilt browser.

I have an ego problem with iPhones. I am not going to use them because 'non-techies' love them.

14. The Y-man