Technology & Social Media Latest and greatest phones...Why?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hammer, 27th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Marketing was one of my last subjects so by then I was very institutionalised. By that I mean that I was very focussed on what I needed to do to get good marks, rather than arguing with the lecturer. But then I think he was pretty good, so maybe I didn't need to?

I remember for assignment 1 I created a newsletter format with colours and graphics that fully layed out like a professional DTP would. I think I got 95%. Everyone else just typed up their assignments and printed black and white. It was marketing, not economics! :cool:

The Y-man and Blacky like this.
  2. BennEznElle

BennEznElle Well-Known Member

I had the N95 years ago, absolutely loved it! I held onto that for years until being convinced to move to Apple.

I've never understood the need for the brand new phone. I think its just a status thing. I used to upgrade my phone every 2-4 years when my wife's plan rolled over and I took her old phone.

Even still, I just bought a new Iphone 7, couldn't justify the need or cost for the 8 let alone the X.

The Y-man likes this.
  3. val

val Well-Known Member

I think the Samsung Galaxy peaked with the S3 which is the perfect size with good enough hardware. I've been through about eight S3 phones in the past 3-4 years due to heavy use. When it stops working I format the phone and flash the same ROM each time, but if it can't be fixed I buy another 2nd hand S3 ($90-100), root it and install cyanogen mod's Android version 13.

inertia and The Y-man like this.
  4. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

5. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

My phone always dies around the 1.5yr mark. Slows down considerably and battery lasts half a day. I never get the latest and greatest for the sake of it but have no issues upgrading to something at the top of the tree considering how important a modern phone is to my day to day

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Updated to iPhone 6S to get the bigger screen, handy when travelling.
    Still have iPhone 4, extra phone when wanted. Works well.
    Marg

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I have upgraded due to batteries not lasting, and to get a better camera. I think I may have had a plan at one time, but for last few upgrades I have bought outright and kept on my cheapie plan. When I was working I would hook into the Westfield wifi and at home I hook into our home wifi so I don't need a big plan.

Hubby got the old iPhone 4 and now I don't know how I managed with the tiny screen.

I've swapped my iPhone 6+ recently for my son's 7+ when he upgraded to the X. I now have a better battery life, better camera and he sold my 6+ to someone else.

I'm sure I could get a cheaper brand, but with everything in our family Apple, I need to know someone can answer any technical questions I have (which may or may not be fairly often). :p

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

My N95 still stands by for 5 days :D

...and just in case it runs dry..... :eek:

WP_20180227_17_17_30_Pro[1].jpg

The Y-man

Blacky, Observer and chylld like this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I found it astounding that someone who is always complaining about how little money they have , goes and buys a iphone x for $1500 out right or on something ridiculous like $150 per month, when they have a perfectly functioning iphone 7 or even 6

Ihave a s8+ and love it to bits, but I got it on a super discount well after it was released, and god I hated paying big $$$ for it,

and this was after Ihad tried a few cheaper phones.....

10. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I have a very smashed up Meizu M2 note I imported from China, designed by a Japanese firm. I paid around $170 Australian (thought it was 130, then converted from USD). They are now around $400 each. Just tried to remove the battery and was unsuccessful but managed to cause more damage to the screen.

The phone is now working well that I have tried, and failed miserably, to fix it. Spent $30 on screw driver set (could not buy individually) I am unlikely to use in the future but will loan out to family.

Love everything about the phone but the battery is getting a little unreliable. I would recommend the Meizu phone if you can afford it, or they go on special again. Just make sure you buy a cover online for the phone before you use it. My laptop stopped working about three weeks ago too. Not doing so well with tech at the minute.

11. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Meant to say, buy one of the newer models as their battery is meant to be better! 4-600 dollars + new unless their is a sale. Kogan seem to have good prices.

12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

You seem to love your Nokias!

I actually just bought my first Nokia in the best part of two decades. It's a Nokia 8 and has all the latest and greatest stuff, except for the fact that I realised it doesn't have a notification light. How? That's actually really annoying.

In case you were wondering, I paid $330 including postage for a second hand one and my year and a half old Xiaomi mi5 is pretty much dead.

13. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

I have been (admittedly very slowly) restoring one of those old wall mounted big wooden box telephones that you had to wind up to get the operator on the line.
    The kids think its hilarious.

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Well even the TARDIS looks like an old police phone box.....

The Y-man

Lemmy a fiver likes this.
  15. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

I'v given up trying to explain to them Maxwell Smarts shoe phone when watching old TV re-runs.
    They just shake their heads.

The Y-man likes this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

... or the Dick Tracy two way wrist TV.

17. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

@The Y-man @BennEznElle

As a fellow N95r - remember the ad:

@The Y-man mentioned the camera. I have a Pixel XL (heavy work user) and the camera is stunning in almost all lighting conditions. SLR is better but not in your pocket. Quality is much better than the $300-400 phones (which are otherwise very fine - we have one of those as well).

Two clicks on the power button to shutter is very fast.

Of course, it will become slow sometime between 18 and 24 months ;)

Last edited: 27th Feb, 2018
  18. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

This is the first generation who won’t understad why we say “hang up the phone”

And why does the answer phone button still look like one of the 1990’s phones?

Just sayin

Blacky

Nadine Cross and The Y-man like this.
  19. Nadine Cross

Nadine Cross Well-Known Member

Its an age thing as well...the older you are, the less inclined you get to listen to any marketing of anything.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

The reality is we spend most of our lives in bed or on our phones so I think it's justified to spend the money on a good mattress and phone.

Quicker, better battery life, good customer support (Apple) and good product support (Apple) are worth the premium when I use my phone all day long for business (and pleasure...sshhhh).

The biggest issue seems to be batteries and this is the reason I usually end up upgrading.

Guest likes this.