Late arrival to auction, registers during auction and wins? QLD

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Mitch7, 25th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mitch7

Mitch7 New Member

I attended an auction yesterday in QLD and was leading the bidding, bid increments were down to the hundreds and on the 3rd call of the auctioneer a lady turned up and they paused the auction and registered her to enable her to bid. She ended up taking out the auction at $1000 above my final bid as I was quite stunned to her turning up at such a late stage during the auction, I figured obviously she came with "gas in the tank" therefore I decided to no longer bid further.

It was quite irritating and I've never experienced this at an auction before and from what I can see on Fair Trading Queensland website it states clearly:

"At the auction
    Registered bidders
    You must keep a register of all bidders at an auction.

This means you will need to:

register them before the auction starts"

Source: Auctioning a property | Your rights, crime and the law | Queensland Government

Just seeking other opinions on this? Will also follow up with Fair trading Qld tomorrow.

Cheers

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would not waste your time ,and I have seen the above happen many times ..Next time when you think you have won and paid ten's or maybe hundreds of thousands above the first bid who thought also that their bid was the value range,just blow them out of the water and crank the bid up too 5k and if they keep their hand in the air walk out..imho..At least you were not bidding against the gum tree in the back yard because unless you stand down the back and watch everything the gum trees sometimes bid,,.imho..

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Haven’t you heard of the McEnroe strategy?

You probably won’t like this feedback but I would say you were beaten by a more experienced bidder.

The only thing that matters at an auction is who is the last/highest bidder. At Qld auctions (and I attend a lot; going to one in about 2 hours), I have seen bidders register during an auction many times. In fact, most auctioneers (at least the good ones) fully encourage it.

My understanding is that you can register and bid any time up until the hammer falls. If yours is the last bid and the property is on the market, you win.

If not, you lose ...

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In Victoria, you don’t have to register at all. In fact registrations are not taken at all and any one can bid at any time during the auction.

5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

In Qld, you can only bid if you have a paddle (a stick with a number on it); the only way to get a paddle is to register.

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

No. bidders need to be registered before they can place a bid is all. It’s the same in NSW. No requirement to register in Vic as per above.