Business Technology laser printers

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Logan, 26th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Any one have any recommendations for laser printers, I am sick of buying cheapies that die within a few months so I am upgrading. I am looking for moderate use with auto feed for scanning that can take cheap cartridges - any suggestions ?

thanks

Logan

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

B&W or colour?

3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Looking for colour

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

If you are not wanting to use genuine cartridges then dont buy Kyocera. Without the ceramic base of their proper toner the print quality is terrible. We sell about 90% kyocera to clients and other 10% is either the epson workforce pro biz inkjets or the entry level brothers

5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

6. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I bought an HP MFD this year. Does single-pass duplex scanning, colour/b&w laser. Bit noisy, but works pretty well. Wakes itself up at odd hours to do stuff though, gave the misses a fright the first time as it is a bit noisy and she was home by herself.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Printers are evil and must be destroyed.

I'm not racist, but printers should go back to where they came from.

(I'm still scarred from my first full time job out of uni, which was doing helpdesk technical support for a govt department - our stats showed that 70% of our time was spent doing printer support).

(Also, I hate my Samsung colour laser printer).

(PS. if anyone has an old HP Color LaserJet 1500 or 2500 series, I have a heap of toners and an imaging drum taking up space in my office that I no longer need because my old printer died many years ago).

8. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

thanks for the suggestions - the Kyocera is out of my price range at the moment.

@shorty do you mean HP MFP ? if so which one ?

thanks

9. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I have a 10 ( ish ) year old HP 2600N. It's a network laser. HP are the Toyota of printers from a reliability perspective ( my opinion ). I replace cartridges every 2-3 years with non-genuine cartridges from eBay.

It's colour which is useful for printing sections of topographic maps for bushwalking.

11. Simon Hampel

Isn't the printer a bit heavy to carry with you? How do you get power for it when bushwalking?

Logan likes this.
  12. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

@Logan have you looked at the economics of just buying cheapies the ink will usually last for about 6 to 9 months depending on usage. Don't replace cartridges just buy another cheapie and throw old one out. Just a thought. Personally we have Kyocera but we do a bucket load of printing.

13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ive used brother colour laser multifunctions for various small offices with no problems, if you need to print lots of colour images etc theyre prob pretty poor but for gen office documents etc worth a look

I havent had any reliability issues

14. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I am really not into unnecessary waste, while it may work out cheaper to buy a new printer each time I spend a lot of my time trying to reduce landfill. This is one of the reasons I want an upgrade, so I don't have to keep buying new ones and sending the old ones to land fill.

I am toying with the HP and brother - I think it will come down to which one can take cheap ink to lower running cost - although running cost will be higher than just using the printer at my day job.

15. Simon Hampel

Interesting article from Choice about some new inkjet printers that don't use cartridges.

https://www.choice.com.au/electroni...inters/articles/epson-ecotank-printers-290915

"The days of complaining that your home printer has run out of ink may be over. Epson's new range of EcoTank multifunction printers come with enough ink included to give you up to two years of printing.

The launch of the four new wireless all-in-one printers makes Epson the first major printer manufacturer to bring 'big ink' systems to the Australian home. The Epson EcoTank ET-2500, ET-2550 and WorkForce ET-4500 and ET-4550 can print, scan and copy. Rather than using replaceable cartridges, the EcoTank models come with built-in high-capacity ink tanks which Epson says shouldn't need refilling for around two years.

..."

geoffw likes this.