Large Retaining Wall Repair. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Kelvinator, 10th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kelvinator

Kelvinator Well-Known Member

Hey guys

My parents house has a large 1.1m x 14m retainer wall in the backyard.
    After 27-28 years, it has held up well but then collapsed during the recent storms / floods end of last year. NRMA have come back saying that they won't be covering it.

I am in the process of getting a few quotes. I have mainly been in touch with licenced builders.
    The first quote i've got is roughly 12-13k pending further calculations.
    The other two will see the property soon.

Obviously retaining walls are a bit of a nightmare. I wouldn't buy a property myself with such a big retaining wall... but anyway i have a few questions.

1. Anyone have good contacts with a qualified tradesman who can repair this in Sydney?
    2. Anyone have experience repairing these, and whether the ballpark of 10-15k sounds legit?
    3. For the REPAIR of an exisiting retaining wall that is over 1m in NSW, does this need council approval? (NOT erecting a new wall, just repair)

Many thanks!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Not sure of Sydney, but in Brisbane we kept a long retaining wall to 1m. It meant sloping the yard a little. That meant it didn't need to be engineered which saved us time, paperwork and money. It was built properly by a retaining wall builder, footings done the same as they would need to be if it was over 1m.

When you say it collapsed, it sounds like it needs to be started afresh rather than repaired.

charlie01, Angel and Marg4000 like this.