Health & Family Lap Band Surgery

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 20th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

If fat people saw how much harder they make their own operations, I would see less of it.

What's the alternative to BMI on a universal scale? There isn't a good alternative that can be done so quickly, easily and reproducibly. That's why it's still ubiquitous.

I don't measure BMI unless I know they are obese, and I use the number as a way to distance myself from the accusation. By the time they see me, I need them on side as much as they need to feel that I'm on their side. Cancer and all...

(Cancer is a preventable disease by the way. Being a healthy weight is the place to start.)

Last edited: 20th Dec, 2015
    Beanie Girl and MTR like this.
  2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't know the answer, but perhaps a few more key factors (outside of the 2; height and weight, so BMI can be a more accurate assessment, especially in the healthy weight range/overweight area. Obviously above that, people are obese no matter what.

My mate (best man at my wedding) is a Dietician, and did a stint in Oncology (prior and currently a Diabetes Dietician ) in the public system. He said it is depressing to see that so much of his work is preventable, and almost all people attribute their own laziness to their conditions AND they know it.

pinkboy

Bran likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I agree @pinkboy the bmi scale is a bit "simple". They need a better system to use. I don't have the answer unfortunately, but the majority of the population would be in the "over weight" or higher category, but don't appear "over weight"

I checked the other day at the chemist and I was heart broken... I'm over weight! (just) I immediately bought some pies and ice coffee :D
    I do no exercise but eat healthy. If I hit the gym wouldn't the fat become muscle, which is heavier than fat pushing me further into "over weight " category (unless I just did cardio stuff)
    I'm fairly fit chasing after the kids and walking everyday, plus eat healthy (lots of veg and little meat).

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, agree.
    Unfortunately did not work for my SIL, just been a complete disaster for her.

5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It's not your weight that should be the focus so much; it's your body shape and tone.

My sister was a bit overweight at one stage of her younger life, then became an aerobics junky...after about a year of this she looked fantastic; her body fat had decreased to very little, but her muscles had toned and increased in size in some places.

She was physically smaller as a result (dropping pants sizes for example), but weighed much the same in the end.

6. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

160kg and 23 years old - that's embarrassing! I know of someone very similar to this situation and when asked for my advise, i've said the following:

1. Slowly start a light exercise regime to get your body used to being active
    2. Wean yourself off the crap food (soft drinks, cakes, crisps etc.) and start adding more healthy options into your diet
    3. Surround yourself with supportive people to help drive a positive mindset

The response was "it's too hard doing that and I enjoy my lifestyle". Well don't ask for F'ing advice to improve your life!

Bayview, teg499 and mrdobalina like this.
  7. 158

158 Well-Known Member

@Rixter said it best. Lap band surgery doesn't address the problem. You can still eat plenty of pies and ice coffees with a lap band. The problem still hasn't been addressed has it?

FYI, I personally don't eat 100% healthy food. In fact, I probably eat almost as much junk food as a fat person. To counteract that, I exercise accordingly.

2 weeks ago, I had 2 weeks completely off exercise. No riding, no walking, nothing. (It was more a mental break than a physical break). I knew, that if I continued to eat the way I do when I train, I would pile on the weight. I was smarter than that, and controlled myself to a point, eating s lot healthier and making better choices than normal, especially portion control. Sure, I put on a couple of kgs due to some extra Doritos and Pepsi, but it wasn't excessive or unhealthy.

Also, fat does not turn into muscle. They are completely different. Through good eating and exercise, one can increase muscle mass while losing fat. It does not physically change.

pinkboy

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Chill out:) You are one very angry man, I am not sure why? but that is OK, the forum is for all to enjoy and we should be able share various opinions without being personally attacked.

You don't have to agree with my POV and I don't have to agree with you, the forum is bigger than any one person.

MTR:)

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I like your approach, its a good start.

Xenia likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Rix
    That is exactly what my SIL did recently, went on a ocean cruise and had the lap band adjusted so she could eat what she wanted.

We have been to dinner with SIL/BIL and she has to go to the loo to throw up due to lap band. Pretty sad really.

I have only known her obese, she can hardly walk. This is what I mean about addiction, no one would want to live a life like this surely. I don't know what the answer for these people.

I guess there will be some success stories along the way.

Beanie Girl, Rixter and Xenia like this.
  11. 158

158 Well-Known Member

There are some members of these forums and SS who have publicly asked for help to lose weight.

I wonder how they are going, if they have changed their lifestyle or not at all?

Be great if those gave an honest report of their successes or failures.

pinkboy

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

There is a specific belief system indoctrinated in medicine - nothing wrong or right about it, it just is what it is.

I can see how things can be labelled as a disease, but regardless of whether it is a disease or non disease, I believe the individual can have a choice or control over reversing it.

I'm a big believer of mindset myself, individuals have control and bodies can heal more than the individual knows he can, I have seen a lot of evidence of this and find the human mind fascinating.

I also believe much of society suffer from food addictions - seeking pleasure in external things. I can't comment on this particular young man - I don't know him, but most of society are not internally happy and look for external means to fill a void, food, sex. Many of these can be handled by personal growth and learning self love.

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Dec, 2015
    teg499, Beanie Girl, 738 and 2 others like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that is interesting fact

thanks

MTR

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Luckily it scared the bejeeezuz out of me when the Doc said "you have type 2.... you will die a painful death...." (well he didn't exactly say that.... but maybe they should)

I went for walks, tried to play more sport etc. I bought books on GI and all sorts, went on 30 different supplements, but nothing seemed to do it.

In desperation, I did the only thing I could - I did a human experiment on myself taking blood sugar reading for every kind of food.

I stopped eating anything that would kick my blood sugar (technically glucose) up.

Drastic, but I went from 120kg down to 78kg.

The Y-man

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

great work, that is huge. Y-man

I have lost 5kg, nearly there:) hard work, I am a foodie

Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  16. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I don't have a solid opinion one way the other about the surgery. I don't know much about it and don't know anyone who has had it. I suppose if it is a matter of someone is literally going to die without it then you do it and deal with the mindset stuff and lifestyle stuff later. There will be no "later" if the person's existence is in immediate threat due to their size, so in some circumstances surgery is necessary to buy some time.

My concern would be that trying to address things solely with the surgery might not solve the problem long-term. At some point people need to understand how to eat and exercise correctly for their needs, and have to have the drive to do so. Maybe getting certain professionals involved will help. ie Personal trainers, dieticians and counsellors or life coaches. Counsellors because perhaps there are other reasons why the person isn't feeling driven enough to take care of their well-being.

158 likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's actually not that difficult.... after a while :)

For me, I found that anything with a significant carb content does my blood glucose (no surprise really).

So I simply don't eat the following:
    - anything made from grains such as wheat (i.e. NO bread, NO Cake, NO biscuits etc)
    - NO RICE (that's huge for an Asian like me)
    - not even the "rediscovered" super grains like quinoa, spelt, buckwheat do me much good
    - no potatoes
    - no beetroot
    - no pumpkin
    - NO SUGAR

So many of you will be thinking "Crap, I'll starve..."
    But wait, not all is lost o_O

I eat loads of
    - meat (as in beef, pork, chicken, fish, whatever) with the FAT ON
    - that includes ***** bacon, crackling, snags.....
    - green veges
    - nuts
    - legumes such as peanuts (oddly ok....) and chickpea
    - eggs
    - cheese (full fat)
    - cream (full fat)
    etc

(and in case anyone asks - no Cholesterol is not an issue for me)

I eat a limited amount of sweet fruits (the fructose can be as much a killer as glucose I hear)

If I have a sweet crave, I use either Organic Stevia or Xylitol (definitely NOT aspartame) which can both be cooked with

It's something that was mentioned on the aforementioned TV show - it's where you mix carbs (esp sugar) with fat where the danger is.

They did a fascinating example on the show (can't remember name)

- Suppose you are given a bowl of straight whipped full fat cream (no sugar). How much do you think you could eat before you decided to stop - it's actually very little.

- Now suppose you are given a big bowl of sugar (straight). Again how much can you eat? A spoonful?

Now MIX the two - how much can you eat? Loads and loads. Your "I've had enough" sensors get switched off.

So people are often freaking out seeing me eat pork with all the fat on it, a load of crackling, vegetables cooked in lard or butter, sausages, fried eggs, etc saying "Did't you say you are a diabetic? The doctor said no ***** stuff"

It's the same as the cream example above - there is only so much fat you can eat before you turn off it - as long as there's no carb around. Throw a piece of bread or rice in there - then you can't stop.

I'm still experimenting with the stevia and xylitol to see if they have similar effects to sugar in suppressing the "full effect" - jury's out, but so far looks ok.

My brekky consists of roasted coconuts, brazil nuts and walnuts, salted, with a big slab of natural peanut butter (straight ground peanuts - no additives) and a sprinkle of stevia or xylitol - and the sweetness gets a bit sickening if I have too much brekky.

Anyways, that's what's worked for me so far (people ask me if it's paleo or atkins - it's just purely from my own experimentation)

The Y-man

18. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

This may come as a surprise to some but The secret to not overeating lies in the arm. The same also applies to smoking

The arm is located next to the neck just below actually, you can spend a few minutes locating it by looking in a mirror and use wiki for definitive locational

Anyway, once location is established the secret for obese or smoking avoidance is simple: just follow this 2 step wonder rule

1, observe food visually or delicious cigerette...but...

2, do not lift arm and put object in mouth.. Yeah just DONT do it... Problem solved

Yeah that's it guys, bon appetite

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

T
    great work, 1 day free on Xmas day:)

Xenia likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lol,