Landscaping/Plants question

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by property_noob, 12th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zizi

Zizi Well-Known Member

Oh, that's the reason that you are going to retain it about 500mm. Hope it can drain if you get lots of rain. cheers, Zizi

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Sep, 2021
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

3. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

Yes 100 mm or 4 inch sleepers, In Geoffs pic 50mm

Water in clay soil excludes oxygen drowning a plant, like we would drown under water. If you have time fork in compost and gypsum . If no time use course sand and compost in the bottom of the hole and plant a bit higher than usual.

Clumping Bamboo doesnt run or spread.

4. property_noob

property_noob Well-Known Member

Would corten metal be better than wood?

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It would be extremely expensive as it's thick steel.

If you want it simply for growing veggies (btw many veggies actually love clay soil) then look at some raised colorbond planters

Bunnings has a large range of options and as you don't actually want retaining but want a raised garden bed they would be a simple solution Raised Garden Beds - Bunnings Australia

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

In a similar vein, our landscaper put foxtail palms beside a pebblecrete driveway.

Planting area is probably 30cm deep and about 50cm wide, filled with good soil, but it's sitting on rock, not ideal.

We think we should replace the foxtails with something that won't grow so big.

A nurseryman told me the root ball of a foxtail palm shouldn't crack the driveway, but it is likely that any plants in the garden will not thrive as the palms will take most of the available water.

Can anyone confirm this? If the driveway is safe, we would leave them there.

If we replace them we'd need something that doesn't spread too wide or scratchy.

Or something that could grow over the fence without getting too heavy and out of control and won't scratch cars, maybe (Jasmine)? Image 15-9-21 at 2.17 pm.jpg (

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

so cute when they're little ...

8. wylie

Yes... there's one over the fence a few houses away that is well over two stories high, and one in our street the same. I'm not sure why the landscaper chose these, but we needed to get the final approvals ticked off so this was easier than trying to change horses mid-stream.

Now we need to understand if they will damage the driveway and remove them if that is a risk.

9. property_noob

property_noob Well-Known Member

How about composite wood like trex or ewood?

10. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

They can grow in small spaces but I reckon that is way too small a space for a foxtail.. the trunk will get to 30cm on its own in under a decade, spreading any surrounding concrete. I wouldn't bother in such a small space anything other than grasses.

That said though, I have a similar one in shallow rocky ground that has stayed that size for about 2 years:D Any palm still need some root space.

I reckon my motto is these days... "If in doubt, pull it out" :cool:

Last edited: 16th Sep, 2021
    Westminster likes this.
  11. wylie

That's our plan. I don't understand why a landscaper would have chosen it, but it was approved as such, so we chose to get the tick of approval and then remove them. Eight of them.

Now to find something to replace them with...