Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Landscaping ideas for Perth IP

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Nimble, 8th Nov, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

My IP is in Helena Valley, 30 min drive east of Perth city. I am in the process of deciding what to do with my backyard. Front already has grass. Backyard is about 110 square meters and rectangle in shape. There is a small paved and covered alfresco at the back. House plans attached. I did some research and looked at photos of other rental properties on realestate.com.au and have these ideas/thoughts:
    -Fake grass is expensive if you want something decent. Still requires maintenance. Hot to walk on in summer and can leave a burn if you fall and slide on it - so no good for families with kids. Won't be going with this option
    -Real grass will require maintenance and I can hire someone to take care of it (plus front lawn) say once in 2 or 3 weeks, depending on season. From what I found in my research, most tenants won't look after grass/plants. This expense is tax deductible and I will add it on top of rent. Will tenants be OK if someone mows the lawn once every few weeks or will they find it too much of a disturbance?
    -Paving the whole backyard will mean almost no maintenance but this is an expensive option and may not appeal to everyone
    -I may extend the alfresco area with additional roof cover so it goes to the corner of the house

I am leaning towards paving a small strip next to the house (so I have a walkway between left and right side) as well as left and right side of the house. I will then put mulch onto the remaining area of my backyard and plant some native plants that require zero to little maintenance. What do you guys think? Any tips? Why did you choose your current landscaping for your IPs? What would you do in my situation?

Attached Files:

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Go real grass tenants will expect grass and to have to mow it.

These photos are of the place we're renting in Toodyay. It's 100m2 grass and plants around the fence. This would do the job as a basic garden and low maintenance. Just get decent bark chips, this stuff had weeds coming through after a few weeks. There is also basic drip irrigation and sprinklers so everything can be easily watered. I haven't had to mow it yet in 2 months and by the looks of the weather shouldn't need a mow through summer!

DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0001.JPG

3. bob shovel

Did a quick count

20 plants x $15
    Say 7m mulch /bark chip x $110.or get it free from the tip, if they do that near you
    Get some garden edging too from bunnings you'll need roughly 40 or 50m x $29
    Screenshot_2015-11-08-12-56-05.png
    Around $1200 diy plus some fertiliser maybe a few bags of potting mix

4. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

our feedback from all tenants we manage are "more grass, more yard please".

5. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to pave a small lane way at the back then the rest will be grass. I will also have a small garden bed on the outer edges with native plants like you @bob shovel

I am talking to my PM and he likes the idea. I am going to include mowing service in the rent as a 'point of difference', as Perth rental market isn't doing too well.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would pave down the narrow side of the house especially alongside the alfresco paving as it's not a huge alfresco.

Which side is the washing line one? I'd probably pave the other side too.

Then I would grass and have some garden beds for interest. Do put in some trees as well as the natives suggested to give some height/visual interest and shade

7. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

I will be paving both sides. Attached is what I am planning to do. Washing line will be on the left, where the path is wider. One day might extend the alfresco area with additional roof cover. Haven't considered getting any trees but will look into it if its low maintenance.

Attached Files:

8. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

I got quoted $2,800 for my backyard. That's for grass, reticulation (connected to front controller) and garden beds. My previously attached file is what it will all look like. I have the option of adding 3 native trees to my garden beds - 1 on each corner of the back fence and 1 in the middle of the back fence. These trees won't grow any more than 2 or 3 meters and will be low maintenance. This option costs $300 extra, is it worth it? Or will they look out of place and subtract from the simplistic look of the back?

9. bob shovel

Just go simple, 2-3m is a nice height but will require some pruning at some stage.and it will depend on your tenant whether they do it.. or it may not need it and look after itself,which is all good

2m max is a good manageable height I think, just to top of fence or a bit over so it covers the fence but doesn't require a ladder.

10. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

My backyard was completed recently so I took a few photos to share here. Thanks everyone for ideas.

House has been for rent for over a month now with no takers. Reduced price a little twice. Hope Perth picks up soon.

Attached Files:

Kryys, Leo2413, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Looks good. Nice clean and simple.

12. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

Thanks. Front had a great lawn too but after water exemption ran out, it started to go yellow in some places. I got backyard grass put in later and water exemption still applies, hence it looks so healthy. Can't wait for tenants to move in and hand water the grass (hopefully), as it has been really hot in Perth and automatic sprinklers are just not enough.

13. LifesGood

LifesGood Home Building & Development Consultant Business Member

Looks great, nice job.

14. bob shovel

looks great. pavers came up well and very practical, much better than gravel or mulch!

Leo2413 likes this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Looks great. I hope you get a tenant soon. How much have you dropped your rent by?

16. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

@Westminster by about $30 so far. Don't think I will be going lower.

17. DoubleD

DoubleD Well-Known Member

You might have to go lower it's the market that dictates the price not the landlord. I just rented mine out in Mindarie had to take a $70 a week reduction to meet the market but that's the market. A pick of the garden after the RENO image.png

18. Nimble

Nimble Well-Known Member

@7DD4 Looks great, tidy. I did lower the price again few days ago, hoping for more positive results.