Landscaping ideas for new PPOR

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by jdv77, 18th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jdv77

jdv77 Member

Hey PropertyChat

After some landscaping Inspo for a PPOR property I just bought in Melb eastern suburbs (Zoned NRZ3 so I’m told front fence height max 600mm which isn’t a lot clearly)

As you can see from the aerial there is a fair chunk of land to the side of the property that I’d like to close off and make more private, and turn into a private space really. Any ideas?

There is a portion of that yard that is hedged as you will see but unclear to me why they wouldn’t hedge at the boundaries marked in yellow (checked with council they would allow a hedge up to 2m, but fencing only to 60cm) and perhaps stop at the front path of the house and put another screen from there to the door to close off that section to the side completely

Any ideas on how you would landscape this to make more private and open up the potential of this land?

Attached Files:

2. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Hi you could hedge the perimeter with Murraya or Lilly Pilly, they will get to 3 or 4 m quite quickly , and also be dense enough to provide good privacy.

With that sorted it really depends . Do you need a large grass area for kids , swing set perhaps ?
    A vege patch in one corner is good . Chicken pen??

I prefer Japanese gardens but it’s not for everyone, maybe google cottage gardens and plants .

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Use gabions to fence. The poor man's walled garden:rolleyes:

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I love gabions, but they take up a lot of space. I'd fence to the maximum height and add whatever hedge grows quickly and will provide privacy.

The yellow line you've added is right beside the concrete footpath. Is that where the boundary is? Seems odd.

And the current hedge is wider than any gabion (or most hedges) would be and takes up a LOT of room. Whilst it would be a shame to remove it, I would do that and find something that gives you more space.

And I'd fence the driveway off to protect kiddies and animals from vehicles.

Angel and boganfromlogan like this.