Landscaping ideas, designs, plants and all the rest

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Sackie, 4th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks myf , I will investigate all those plants and see what I like and can use. With regards to the retaining wall, I think I'm using the most cost efficient materials for my lot, I just want to spruce them up . I think when I'm finished with them, they should look very different. To spend any more money on them , I just wouldn't get anything back and it's not really necessary from what I've seen.

Great tip re avoiding small leaf plants.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Omg I had no idea these trees are so expensive..

Screenshot_20191106-151519.png

Propin likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Westminster I'm seriously thinking to send those BBQs back to bbq galore and purchase 2 of these. I'll also add an outdoor beer fridge and ....a pizza oven :cool:

Screenshot_20191106-152803.png

Archaon likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Sackie likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

6. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

If the other wall costs don’t add up / able to get on site, perhaps just paint up the timber in monument grey.
    Popular colour so not out there, but should work with the grey tiles already in place.
    Good luck!

housechopper2 and Sackie like this.
  7. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Tagging onto this thread rather than starting the new one....we are thinking to do abre backyard garden edging and some front too...

Currently it has those long wooden rolls that look like tree trunks but due to age ther are gone....

Any opinion about treated timber garden bed with concrete post vs sandstone type blocks...it is not going to be very high - just few inches from ground so we can top up good soil as there is a bit of slop...

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Timber will always rot, even if it takes years. I'd go with sandstone or interlocking blocks.

Never giveup likes this.
  9. Never giveup

I am waiting for the quote and sample pics

10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh I wish I saw that earlier! My mum’s neighbour had a gorgeous tree and dumped it last summer. I’m still sad, one of the nicest variety I’ve seen!

11. Never giveup

So I asked for sample.pics to see treated timber vs blocks and I found couple on tge net...definately the blocks looks neat and much better. I have also uploaded how the current rotten wood rolls look

Opinions/suggestions!?

Attached Files:

12. Never giveup

Do uou paint treated pine or stain if it is a garden edge ?

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Do you, should you, can you ?

1. Not many do
    2. Probably not, its not undercoated ?
    3. Yes. But I wouldnt. It looks cheap and nasty.

TP is a landscape product best only used for some low retaining walls.Its often not straight. It is (slightly) cheaper but often installed poorly and it does bend under load adn often twists or splits. It has a far shorter life than concrete blocks and its not that cheap and has some hazards (its green look is a poison) . Even the act of whippersnipping is better with blocks. Weathering etc. I have boral gardenwall blocks (ie non structural) and find that blocks do hold a lot of dirt on the rough face. A quick blast with a karcher each 6-12 months and they look like brand new. TP ages poorly with greying. Cockroaches love TP logs and the gaps.

Blocks (low landscape not mortared) should always be carefully laid perfectly level on the lower run to a decent wet concrete bed that is dug under the expected soil level. If your yard has angles then dig depth and ensure each row is flat. You want to see blocks not concrete when the turf goes down. Ensure horizontal and vertical angles are perfect ie side and rear and top. (and why you lay onto wet concete one at a time and tap them with a mallet) Once the bottom row are in its a simple stacking job. The art is the bottow row. Otherwise they will look terrible when stacked. The capping is expensive but really finishes it and if you use blocks that allow curves it may be avoided but you will have gaps at the rear that are V shaped on the curved parts, not the straight runs. Those V blocks will also likely not be "fixed" as the lower edge that staggers them back 25mm each layer must be hammered off. This means walking on the curved section (kids) can be unstable. Use (small amount) adhesive for capping or to secure those curved blocks if a concern. Alternatively hammer off all blocks and lay straight up.

There are also a varity of panel options. Usually a system of posts that are embedded and then TP dressed panels slide in. Bunnings seems to sell more of them now.
    Whites Outdoor 750 x 50mm Retain-iT End Post
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/brands/r/ridgi is a concrete alternative

Tip - Dingo hire may avoid a lot of lifting !

Lacrim likes this.
  14. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Lacrim likes this.
  15. Never giveup

Thank you guys....due to the set budget and need to change the old edging TP was a winner -apparently 40 years warranty!! These sleepers are approx $18 at
    bunnings for 200x50x3.

I have put the pic of what was before put in by vendor and the updated.

Attached Files:

Propin and wylie like this.
  16. Never giveup

Finally did the staining and we are happy with the outcome ;)

Next project is to improve the lawn/grass

Attached Files:

craigc and geoffw like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The issue with pine is that it doesn't last and tends to warp after a year or so, no matter what "warranty" they put on it

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2020
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Looks great :)