Landscaping- Artificial Lawn vs Natural Lawn

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Nabsinna, 24th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nabsinna

Nabsinna Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    In the process of developing 2 townhouses as future investment rentals and currently in the process of getting landscaping plan done.

We wanted artificial grass for low maintenance but was told by the landscaping architect that Natural lawn is the required by the council. Apparently, we need to send photos post construction and the council might come inspect- and if they notice its artificial lawn, they might ask to remove it.

Question
    Is there anyway for me to place artificial lawn to the back and front yard without triggering the council? Perhaps, i can wait a certain amount of time after construction to place the artificial lawn? (Edit- rechecked the permit letter- the landscaping needs to be done prior to occupancy)

I am just trying to avoid double handling- that is do natural lawn and then having to change to artifical lawn?

Or- does it really matter if it is natural lawn in terms of maintenance issues with future tenants?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2021
  2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Have you actually looked up the council rules on this?

3. Nabsinna

It is the monash council in victoria. I couldn't find any specific provisions in regards to the lawns anywhere nor anything mentioned in the permit letter. Just going based on the landscaping architect

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Artificial lawn - yuck! And ironically, weeds still take root in it…eventually..

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2021
    Stoffo and wylie like this.
  5. Nabsinna

Haha. You might just convince me to go natural. (Already on the fence about it)

6. ChocChip

ChocChip New Member

Pro's - Agree that artificial lawn doesn't require mowing and looks beautifully green all year round.

Con's - After a heavy rainfall, the water may take a while to drain through the perforated matting.

Nabsinna likes this.
  7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I did a bit of an experiment with artificial lawn under my potted frangipani. I put a paved edge around it. The artificial grass gets so much hotter than the paving.

Nabsinna likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Friends have it. It gets hot and what about pets soiling it… the smell?

Stoffo and Nabsinna like this.
  9. Nabsinna

Thanks guys. Excellent points. In terms of tenant preferences does having natural lawn vs artificial lawns a major point of consideration?

10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Nabsinna likes this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Option 1. Natural lawn, and include maintenance as part of the rent.
    Option 2. Non lawn. If the area isn't too big, you may be able to just create garden, or mulch, or pebble. There is still maintenance - but not as much.

Trying to work out how to bypass council regulations isn't an option IMO.

Nabsinna likes this.
  12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

hate the stuff

Like composite decking timber - fried feet for the humans and the dogs

ta
    rolf

Nabsinna likes this.
  13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Most councils ban it or heavily restrict it for development approvals. With urban warming they are getting tougher too. Its not a "landscape" material and fails their definitions of grass, turf and the like. Its typically adhered to concrete if its correctly laid. I have a small area I did consider fake grass for. Instead I spent up on the right grass and now I have lush thick Sir Walter area that is cool to walk on. Its very drough tolerant as long as it gets some water occassionally as isn't cut thin.

You cant "change" the design without approval and a occ cert wont be issued until it is compliant with the landcape plan that was part of the permit approval.

Nabsinna likes this.
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Also having a real lawn sucks up carbon - so great green credentials there! Compared to a fake lawn that is derived from petroleum - and unlikely to be recycled at the end of its life.

Nabsinna likes this.
  15. Nabsinna

I think I might stick with Natural Lawn considering the many issues with artificial lawn, that I haven't considered before.

However, I wonder how it works, the current Lawn in the landscaping plan is seeding and not actually putting established lawn. Meaning, it would just look like dirt until the lawn become established in 1 year.

How does the council process that? Surely, an occupany cert is not going to be denied pending the establishment of the lawn? Also, do we need to keep providing evidence to them after it becomes established in a years time?

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

NEVER plant seeds in a new build. It take a lot of care or it dies. The only place for seeds in vacant land aftre a subdivide so the soil doesnt blow away. Healthy turf is cheap and is instant as long as nobody lets it die. Just buy it from the farm and when its laid it will look a million that day. Water a little each day (hose + timer?)

Yes council want a established lawn. Not seed. Surely your landscaper mentioned that. Ditto baby plants v mature at the front and so on. Turf costs $8m2++ but allow $15 for quality. Seed and flaffing about for weeks to water dry soil costs more. (It will die) Its like saying you dont want to paint the walls cause it costs extra and undercoat looks OK. Or dont put water in the pool as it will use chemicals.

Renters will take pics of the crap condition and you cant expect them to maintain dry soil. You need to focus on spending $$$ the right way

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2021
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You should not use seeds for this project. Get instant lawn laid. Get advice on which kind - depends on if it’s in sun or shade. There are a few companies that do it:

Lilydale Instant Lawn,

Melbourne Turf Supplies - Instant Lawn - Grass Turf - Baybrown

Shop Instant Lawn & Turf Varieties Melbourne | Instant Lawn

I laid my own turf - it’s hard work, but the result is very good. And you get an instant result.

It still has to be looked after - follow the watering instructions. And it takes better if washed sand is sprinkled at the joins.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia