Landscaping an IP

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Hodor, 6th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I'm currently landscaping a new IP, been a couple of big days so far. Budget for the front and back will be just under $3.5k. Was going for under $3k but dumping rubbish and dingo hire on day two increased the cost.

I'm just uploading day one photos for the backyard today, front yard was preped to the same standard day one too. Day one was all done by hand thanks goes to a couple of mates that helped out.

Attached Files:

R377 likes this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

nice work. what's the grand plan?

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Why the gravel beds at the base of the fence? Is that for ease of maintenance or to stop the base of the fence rotting and hence reduce termite risk?

[​IMG]

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

The gravel prevents weeds and maintenance., nothing to do with pests. Looks nice once its washed up too. I've laid turf and set out some plants.

Went turf to the front too. Let my idea of what's nice get in the way of what's best for a tenant. More rock is cheaper too.

Attached Files:

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

@Hodor what was it like before? Did you take a picture of the yard?

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

The photo backyard 1 is the start of the day, backyard2 is after removing some of the rubbish. Backyard5 is the end of day one.

7. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

what was the total cost ? did you pay labour or do work yourself with mates ?

8. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Came in at just under 3.5k for the front and back. Had mates help out so no labour costs past beers and pizza/ribs.

Lots of lessons learned in terms of planning, getting a dingo from the get go would have made life easy

R377 likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Take care with these costs. Hard landscape costs are NOT deductible. Soft landscape costs over $300 may also be non-deductible. Tenants will park on your lawn and fail to maintain your effort which will be gone in no time. Value is often not enhanced and it may be better to throw your spending into prep for future sale and providing a low maintenance option. Tenants will destroy anything that requires maintenance. THey wont water it or weed it or care a crap for it. Rarely - Sometimes a tenant cares. If so - Look after them then.

10. arorah

arorah Well-Known Member

how do yo describe hard and soft landscape? i am sorry really new to all this? we are planning to make our PPOR an IP now and wantsome landscaping done in frontyard as the current ones make property look really old and unclean. Not sure whether we would be able to claim any of that?