Landscape Ideas (Brisbane)

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Paul Harry, 17th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul Harry

Paul Harry Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    First post in these forums, but read a lot of posts in here. We're a few months away from beginning the building process on a vacant level block of land in Brisbane.
    We're going with a Hamptons style home, but looking for inspiration / ideas for a Hamptons inspired backyard. It's a reasonably large area that will house a pool and that's as far as we've got. I'll be mainly doing the work myself to reduce costs but wanted to know if anyone has some ideas to assist.
    If you've used a landscape architect or designer we'd love to know who you've used / recommend.

One last thing to note is that the rear of the property (last 10m from the rear boundary) has a bushfire covenant on it just to make things a bit more interesting! I've attached a preliminary site plan and an image of the fascade that we'll be using to assist.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Welcome. :)

A little more information will help with answers. Do you want grass for kids or dogs?

Do you have an outdoor BBQ area planned or wish to add one?
    Outdoor under-cover (eg. gazebo).

Have you searched the net for “Hamptons back yard” to get ideas?

If so, anything you like (or dislike)?

Paul Harry likes this.
  3. 14022

14022 Member

Great to hear this....
    Speaking with experience, I would suggest a qualified landscape designer option here before you start to build. Too many variables and because they have the knowledge and experience to guide the best outcome. They also know the local area and building codes. They will pick up and include things you should or can do before the excavators come in.
    AILDM is the website to go to find a local landscape designer. If it helps Paul Stein is the President and he is near your area I believe.

4. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

I imagine the covenant not to allow dry grasses ,bamboo and natives Eucalypt Acacia Melaleuca etc. Along with only grass or paving 5 M from the house .

I expect most of your neighbours to go for a Formal garden like in the facade pic or Cottage,
    Plants like Gardenia Camellia Star Jasmine Buxus

You could go left field with a Japanese garden but plant selection would be critical especially in QLD . Im in Sydney which i believe is a bit more forgiving.

Plants like Weeping and grafted ( all season red) maples need afternoon shade. As opposed to seeded Japanese and Korean maples that are a bit tougher and can handle full sun . Mostly.

5. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Maples generally do not do well in the sub-tropical Brisbane climate.

Harveys, Maplesmatta and gman65 like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you like Maples, but perhaps they don't do so well in Brisbane, try a Liquidamber... looks like a maple, does the same colour change and is a beautiful tree.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

This is a link to some good articles and suggestions on trees that are fire ******ants. You might be able to use some of these in your zone Fire ******ent Trees

Plants that should work well in your area and suit your style are: magnolias (little gem, teddy bear etc), crepe myrtles, murraya (great for hedging), hydrangeas, agapanthus

Millie and gman65 like this.
  9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yup.. in terms of plants what I have had good success over the years in Brisbane is magnolias, lily pily, star jasmine, yukka, bougainvillea, strelitzia, hibiscus, cana lily and most of your traditional native shrubs like grevillea, callistemon, etc.

Roses also do very well here, if that is your thing.

Palms also are easy, but some are not so frond these days.

Really it's very much dependent on creating a good fertile soil bed, and knowing the light/shade of the property. If in doubt and want instant success, consult a professional.

Anyhow, enjoy your journey, it's rewarding, but expect to have a few failures along the way :)

Maplesmatta likes this.
  10. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

For me, Hamptons garden in the tropics means green foliage, and white flowers.

Lots of images online to inspire.