Landlord's insurance cover when tenant is late to vacate

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Davothegreat, 7th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We've decided not to renew the tenancy to one of our tenants and they are due to vacate by 18th January. At this stage it's looking like the tenant won't be out on time as she has yet to secure another property. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with how landlord's insurance cover works for the period the tenant overstays as I know ordinarily you lose a lot of the tenant related cover, ie rent default etc, when a tenant is no longer on lease but what happens in this case?

Cheers,
    Dave

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We had that recently where a non-paying tenant didn't leave for 2 months after the end of their lease. We got fully compensated through our insurance, we're with CBA.

Davothegreat likes this.
  3. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member

This will depend on your policy, but hopefully you have cover called or similar to 'denial of access'. The important thing is you need to commence whatever actions are appropriate to get them removed from the property. Denial of Access should cover your losses if they refuse to leave whilst going through the court process to get them out. The largest claim we have ever had on it was 39 weeks although I did hear of a loss many years ago (prior to changes to legislation) of as much as 52 weeks. How long is covered (or if covered) will vary by policy.

Davothegreat and Xenia like this.