Landlord insurance

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by menty, 4th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mc123

mc123 Well-Known Member

Cheers

2. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member

The answer is that with us the Heritage Overlay will not matter, so when asked in our application whether your property is heritage listed the answer is no. We are only referring to your specific property. Hope that helps.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have to say I am a fan of the EBM policy provided you choose the right cover !!

EBM have a short stay policy for Stayz and Airbnb and holiday lets which others wont cover (or will say they cover but exclude using a clause such a "tenancy lease exceeding....") and the tailored rental policy tends to prescribe better LL cover than some others. Read the policy for cover and exclusions. Too often people think that they pay for a policy and it means they are insured. Rent arrears clauses etc can all affect a claim.

Benefit of EBM is they are brokers and their can advise on cover before taking out the policy. So use it !! Comparing price alone is NOT a great way to buy insurance. Brokers can sometimes tailor the policy beyond the one standard policy too.. ie wait periods and excess.

brettc likes this.
  4. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

@brettc does ebm treat default in rent (by court order) differently to default in rent without court order? One of my properties I used TS and they cover up to 15 weeks loss of rent if it was by court order. Is ebm just the up to 6 weeks regardless?

5. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member

With RentCover, if a tenant doesn't leave under the normal notices and you go to court/tribunal to get them out, it should fall under "denial of access" which provides up to 52 weeks cover whilst the tenant leaves. The key is of course that you must go to tribunal/court to get them removed, you cannot simply wait it out.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.