Landlord from hell!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Antoni0, 9th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

TQ must troll the pages here,lol!

tq.PNG

2. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

The fence is pretty clear in that last pic. Looks like a battleaxe situation. I wonder if the tenants would have such an issue if a different person (ie not their landlord) owned the back block?

Stoffo and Antoni0 like this.
  3. Antoni0

Reading between the lines, I would say that the LL gave them what for, for having all their possessions on the LL's part of the property, and they didn't like it.

It's even obvious that there's a second driveway with a garage that goes with the rental, but you can clearly see where the tenants have been parking long term on the grass behind the side gate.

ll.jpg 123.PNG 345.PNG

qak, Stoffo and Firefly99 like this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20210112-000046_Samsung Internet.jpg
    What did the tenants think the two letterboxes placed inbetween the two driveway entry points were for :rolleyes:
    Idiots :p

Antoni0 likes this.
  5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Should add a poll as to whose side people are on.
    I'm definitely with the landlord.
    It's no different to renting a property with a vacant granny flat that's excluded on the lease.
    Should you expect to be able to move into the granny flat just because the block is on a single title?

Stoffo, Angel, willair and 1 other person like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I watched it again last night, these things are always good to entertain a bored teacher in January.

Ronald McDonald says he has a toilet cassette. Any camper will have at least one bucket, used to carry all kinds of interesting things around in them. Then leave one out there to deliberately trigger the tenant!

The tenant was complaining about the owner filming him. What about all his cameras set up to film the owners?

There is nothing on the lease about the second driveway space being exempt from the lease according to the legal person in the film. Seven days notice to come onsite not given. Two scores against the landlords.

We cant really complain about neighbours coming home at 2 am after NYE, Christmas eve and State of Origin nights. Happens everywhere and Yamba is a holiday destination town. Would they complain if it was the side neighbours instead?

Antoni0 and qak like this.
  7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I'd say there's breaches on both sides here, which the TV show conveniently omitted to even refer to.

Yep!

Tenant fail: didn't read lease, used fenced off part of property for car parking & trampoline, & storage of 'stuff'. In their favour - may have maintained whole block? Rent being paid.
    Landlord fail: insufficient notice; property not subdivided; driveway not identified as separated on lease (maybe minor given pretty obvious separation?); sanitary situation. Last one is what will get them in trouble with council. In their favour - terms of lease.

Fail on both sides: Him :rolleyes:

Antoni0 likes this.
  8. spludgey

Insufficient notice? The landlord doesn't need to give any notice to access their land that's not leased out to anyone. Going back to my granny flat example, the landlord could move in there at any time, if they wanted.

Property also doesn't need to be subdivided.

The driveway is the only "sort of" argument against the landlord, but even that doesn't hold water as any reasonable person would assume that if the backyard is excluded and needs to be accessed by the landlord, then the driveway, which is the only means of access, also needs to be made available to the landlord.

I don't think the sanitary situation is an issue if they have a camping toilet, as has been claimed.

Stoffo, Angel and Antoni0 like this.
  9. Antoni0

@wylie or @The Y-man

Due to popular demand, can you please add a poll at the top of the first post as I can no longer edit the first post. ?

spludgey and Stoffo like this.
  10. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

It was written on the lease document

11. Antoni0

It was, but how many people would read the fine detail on a lease? I see it quite often with water charging in Qld and tenants try to dispute it, act like they've been ripped off, so I make an effort to tell the PM to remind them verbally and another one is large yards to mow, a lot of tenants that come from flats or units and previously lived with parents think that it mows itself.

12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

property not subdivided ,,,,
    Many properties have multi tenants on properties not subdivided

13. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

You mean
    The lawns don't now themselves
    Beds make themselves
    Fridge automatically fill itself
    Dishwasher empty itself
    Money appears in your bank acc
    Dinner table automatically clears itself
    Car petrol tank fills itself
    House cleans itself
    :oops::eek::oops::eek:

Stoffo and Antoni0 like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd assume property manager would point out any unusual things on any lease. I'd also assume most people would read the box towards the end with special conditions on it.

If not, then that's their problem, I'd say.

Stoffo, Antoni0 and spludgey like this.
  15. spludgey

Agreed, it's literally on the main page too.

16. Antoni0

The problem with disgruntled tenants in your home is that the PM or Tenant doesn't generally pay for the damage they leave behind, since the laws are so great and protect the LL against vindictive Tenants ( being sarcastic), it's a blurred line between damage, wear and tear and deprecation.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

None of these things will matter anyway because when you dig deeper into the conversations aired on the show, the tenants will be moving on and the LLs will move in in April. If they annoy their tenants enough they (tenant) might just break their lease and the LLs can move into the big house even sooner.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  18. Antoni0

Yeah, pretty much have an instant ticket out of there, if there's been a physical altercation like claimed. They need a stern talking to from a teacher like the old days.