Landlord doing own termite treatment

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by myusernam, 6th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. myusernam

myusernam Well-Known Member

I have a highest that when I Reno'd I treated the termites and splashed some poison around the slab in a trench. As it's a highest it's pretty easy to spot the trouble areas. Being a tightarse I was considering doing it myself again at the lease anniversary. Any legality issues? worried what my Tennants might think if I do. Does anyone do themselves with tenants in? They mightn't find out I can just tell the rental agents I'm arranging it for a certain day. Don't want to do the wrong thing regarding poison etc.

2. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

not an expert on this
    professionals use plastic containers buried in the ground
    they put in little pieces of wood , (that termites like) in the containers
    they check the wood every six months to see if there are any termite's

and only do chemical treatments if there are termites
    plenty of vids on youtube about your trench method though

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why not get in a professional to check for termites? Don't throw chemical around if you don't need to. I'm not sure if you need a licence for the chemicals that the professionals use but I'd not be mucking about with it, and I'd not put my tenants at risk because I'm too cheap to pay a professional.

We also have houses that are easy to check under (Queenslanders) so I understand your thought process. But I'd not want an unlicensed person "splashing poison around".

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily Qld, especially older lowsets. Better to prevent damage if possible.
    It comes down to risk.

5. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

What are you using?

We did treat a house with Fripinil which is a disruptor which effects the insects nervous system.

Fipronil - Wikipedia

This is the insecticide used in the baiting system but can also be used in the process of trenching and treating all foundations on a property.

In our case we trenched all around the house and then back filled the trenches with brickies sand and special drip hoses. The sand was saturated with a friponil based product as we backfilled at the prescribed rate and the we restored the paving etc over the top. The hoses are there to reapply every 5 years.

Under the house we distributed a layer of brickies sand around the base of each peer and around the outside wall. All this was also saturated with the friponel product.

All this is supposed to last 5 years before re treatment. We then inserted some bait stations around the house to monitor any activity.

Some of the info I read at the time indicated that treating the house in this way was very effective. A pest controller would normally only trench under the house and use bait stations around the house.

6. myusernam

myusernam Well-Known Member

Yeah read up recently on fiprinol. Sounds good. Same as termidor. I just used some fortune 500 or whatever it's called. Only kills the ones that are there doesn't go back to nest. But available at agricultural shop to anyone.
    I think to use fiprinol and charge money you need a license. Probably not to administer yourself all though I think it's recommended to vacate the house for a day? The stuff I was using is pretty benign, just a bug killer.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How much is it going to save you compared to getting an insured pest controller out?

8. wylie

The need for a licence says something, don't you think? No way would I be mucking about with these chemicals. No way would I want my landlord using them where I'm living either.

Why take the risk?

9. Handyandy

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/444253/pest-mgt-technician-know.pdf

There is a reason why tradesmen are trained and licensed. Whether a builder, a sparkie, plumber or pest control. Appendix 3 explains when a license is NOT required. eg own home you occupy or a IP which is UNOCCUPIED.

Otherwise you are operating illegally can face major penalties. As well as causing harm. You dont know what you are doing. A unlicensed person must adhere to all guidelines too.

DIY dentistry may be just as easy

11. wylie

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I am a trained and licensed pest controller
    Though I only do the odd occasional job (I mow lawns now).
    If the termites want in they will find a way, from a crack in the slab to a shovel leaning up against an outside wall.
    Many of the products available now are engineered only to harm the target, not the person (still, asbestos was a wonder building product for years, until it wasn't!)
    The industry has moved away from the barried (trenching and soaking) to inspections & monitoring stations, you get to charge for quarterly inspections, and if detected the baits used are carried back to the colony (most often eliminating it, not like the older poisons where the colony would get sick and close off THAT tunnel, only to recover and attack again in a few years !).

For @myusernam you could notify the tenant and do it yourself, but most people expect to see a proffesional attend (with a proper inspection being in the roof cavity, sub floor, internal & external walls, surounding trees and thermal imaging ).

CowPat and wylie like this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Won't disagree, this is basically the manufacturer's disclaimer for misuse though
    If you read the label's on half of Bunnings herbicide/pesticide range it implies the same :confused:

Handyandy likes this.
  14. Handyandy

Isn't it interesting that the "LICENSED PEST CONTROL OPERATORS" is present and heads up each section when it relates to Termites but as soon as it covers the treatment of other insect (page 6 onwards) the heading is omitted.

Admittedly the volume of product to be applied is magnitudes different but still the product is still at the same ratio. 6ml to 1L or 600ml to 100L.

This leads me to believe that the warning relates more to the manner of application than the safety of the product. It is assumed that the professional operator has had training in trenching and soil saturation to ensure a continuous treated zone.

We opted for trenching and reticulation as per my previous post because the design of the house lent itself to this approach. We also wanted a more thorough methodology as we had active termites.

This property was sprayed with Dieldrin back in the 80's and that lasted until 2005. If you want to be concerned then read up on Dieldrin and how it was used on food crops.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

At least that stuff worked (so did Aldrin).

I opted for granitguard in my cavities. Chemical free.

16. wylie

The stuff that used to be sprayed for household general pest control inside our house during the 60s and 70s doesn't make it ok. It was ignorance back then. We know better now.

Would you want to be the tenant in a house with the owner deciding that DIY chemical usage is ok? It is you who has to breath in whatever he has used and your kids who might decide to play in the soil that is dosed (correct dosage or not)?

I'd leave it to a professional. Poisons are poison. These professionals know what they are doing.

17. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

And sometimes the insured pest controllers don't even do a proper job and your money goes down the drain. When our PPOR was handed over it had been treated (supposedly) for termites by a reputable company that is based in the SE suburbs of Melbourne. on the one year anniversary the organised with us the yearly inspection and their tech came out. He was walking around checking walls internally and externally using a moisture meter. Something didn't seam right as I noticed no indicatoer lights or beeps on the meter, not even an LCD display showing anything. So I acted naive and started asking him questions about what he was doing. I asked if I could have a look at the meter, he hesitated and then handed it to me. The first thing I did was open the battery compartment and there were no batteries! Pretty disappointed to say the least.

Moral of the story just because they may have every accredation and a wiz bang web site, be very careful. Oh, and read their terms and conditions - you'll be pleasantly surprised you will not be covered for much.