Landlord access to a property prior to outgoing inspection

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by beachgurl, 23rd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I have an interstate property where the tenants are about to leave. I have asked the agent if I can pick up the keys to visit the property on the day after the carpets are being cleaned. I will be there for around 2-3 hours and then returning the keys to the agency. The agent has stated that as I will be on the premises for a prolonged time in between the tenant leaving and the agent having the opportunity to do an inspection, the agent will not be conducting an outgoing inspection and has told me to alert her of any issues with the property.

My reason for visiting is that I'm going to list it, maybe with a different agent.

Does my visiting the property void my right to an outgoing inspection once I've opened the door, or do you think they're playing hard ball cos they know I'm likely going to list the property with another agent?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Tell the agent that the purpose of your visit is not for the purposes of undertaking a final inspection as the agent is still in possession of the property.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware, the time for an outgoing inspection is when the tenant is vacating. Otherwise the agent is leaving you exposed to the possibility the tenant argues any issues have occurred after they vacated (or that you created them, in this case).

No. The agent is/has being paid to do the inspection, and you should ask them to do it in accordance with the agency agreement.

KayTea likes this.
  4. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

I normally ask to meet the owner at the property at the same time and complete vacate while owner is there. If you attend prior to agent completing vacate and then agent goes to complete vacate and there are items broken or not as per entry it is hard to say who was at fault.

I know it sounds absurd but if the tenant finds out from neighbour etc that you have been in there before PM. It can make it difficult to pin point damage or cleaning etc on the tenant.

I know it sounds like the PM is being difficult but they are actually trying to safe guard you. Ask if she/ he is able to meet you at the property.

Pumpkin, wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Best to wait a day or two until the PM has a chance to do the exit inspection. That way your interests are fully protected.
    Marg

Pumpkin, wylie and Propertunity like this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

This.

The agent sounds like they're playing hardball with you, but the easiest way to avoid their excuse is to make sure they have an opportunity to do the exit inspection first- OR even better, on site with you.

Technically, if you enter before the exit is conducted, any number of things can be blamed on you and it all becomes a bit hazy...

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

How long is the agent going to make you wait for the outgoing inspection? Obviously bad time management if the agent has received/given notice and still can't find the time to get to the property for a final inspection. Not fair on you or the outgoing to be made to wait for a clean bill of health.

8. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates Hence why I said to ask the PM to meet at the property so owner can attend and do what is needed and also PM can complete Exit at the same time.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. As I'm selling the property vacant I'm assuming they're in no rush to do the inspection.

They offered to let me into the property if I wanted a quick look but they're not doing the outgoing inspection on that day. As it's difficult for me to pop in interstate for a few hours I can't move the date that week. So fingers crossed the tenants leave it in an acceptable state.

10. Scott No Mates

@beachgurl - take a video recording from the time that you walk in - no fingers can be pointed at you if the agent or tenant says ............

Chivaun.Shortis, wylie and beachgurl like this.
  11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

The agent has three business days to complete the exit inspection and provide the report to the tenants, so there is an urgently regardless of the following circumstances. It's pretty poor form that they wouldn't be able to organise a time before or during your visit to do their job....

Chivaun.Shortis likes this.