QLD Landload Breach for Kids throwing water balloons

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Mobeen, 25th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

I’m sorry if that did not make sense my kids were throwing water balloons from the side balcony of the apartment to the property next door we are on the third floor and the property next door is a full residential house single story, My kids did not throw it at our neighbours as if they were in the next apartment, The roof of the house that got hit is not even part of the apartment complex he doesn’t own it either

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps it is a good lesson for your son to think before he does something like this, but you need for him to understand this landlord is being over the top. If this was me, I'd talk to the boys, make sure they understand they did the wrong thing and if this landlord approaches you again, tell him to take it to the police. That will force him to either back down or he will do just that, and you might get a chat from them, but I doubt anything further would come from it. That's what I'd do anyway.

3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Given you have a property manager, I would be discussing this with them and they should be able to provide you with guidance and help to smooth things over.

Gockie, skater and wylie like this.
  4. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

I’ve also spoken to other people who live in the complex And they also have said A few things and 8 out of 10 people don’t really get along with them that would be a nice way to put it and this landlord Runs the Property Management through a big Real Estate So this is not like a private rental

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What a debacle

on the flip side I expect rents Australia wide to fall, already happening, you may be very well in the box seat when this lease expires

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  6. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Yes I’ve drafted a email up for them and will send it through to them possibly tomorrow as today is a holiday and don’t really want to disturb them at this stage everyone needs a bit of a rest

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The email will sit in the inbox until they open it on Monday IR Tuesday, the agent doesn't work 24/7 so you won't be disturbing them.

The Y-man likes this.
  8. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Yes the boys do understand how stupid it was and Have completed the apology letters and delivered until letterbox next door and also including the landlord, I did ask him to take it to the police if he feels that’s alright process last night, I guess it’s just an old fogey whose power hungry Who had absolute perfect kids they got up to no mischief such as a crime like water balloons are, hey on the flipside at least my kids are not out causing crime or doing drugs or anything stupid like that I rather get in trouble for water balloons every day all day compare to that

Archaon and wylie like this.
  9. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Should I get advice from the property manager before writing up a breach of privacy of peace or enjoyment ?? It’s like two breaches within the month of April.

10. wylie

If you could move from this unit early, would you do that?

If so, perhaps you do need to issue your own breach to support your actions if things heat up. Also will show this landlord he cannot just bully you, that you know your rights.

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I do this caper as an adult. It’s great fun.

I reckon about 20 of the residents should bombard him with water balloons as he comes down the driveway.

Maybe hide in the bushes for that element of surprise and then bolt lol

Archaon, Antoni0, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  12. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Have you been sent an official breach notice? If not ignore and get on with life.

Antoni0 and Joynz like this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I would just do nothing....your buys did something dumb, he overreacted, end of story. It's regrettable but thins could be or get worse.

Just keep a low(er) profile and I'm sure this will blow over. By taking matters further, you risk escalating what is now a pretty minor altercation. There's a cost you don't want to pay for being 'right' sometimes.

Antoni0, Joynz and wylie like this.
  14. wylie

If you don't do anything about sending him a breach notice (which may just ramp things up), at least keep very good diary records of what happened and when.

Gockie and thatbum like this.
  15. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

This is the second time he’s done something similar like this within this month only I’ve got another eight months to go and stand up for myself he’s just gonna eat me up alive, so I might go down the property manager path first send them the email. Do you think it’s fair that the landlord can just turn up at your door at 11 o’clock and get you out of bed because of couple Water balloons thrown at the property next door onto their roof that is not related to the landlords building or ownership at all

16. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

What will it be next time or what time will it be next time??

17. wylie

I don't think it is acceptable what he did at all. Different if your kids were doing something that was causing real damage rather than childish pranks. They didn't hurt his property either. He could have waited until morning and some would argue it is not his business at all.

Archaon, Antoni0, skater and 2 others like this.
  18. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Yes you’re absolutely right and also because he owns the building obviously He’s quite well off does that mean he lives above code of conduct or the law, Obviously he thinks he does because if he is in the law industry, Do you know the rules but chooses not to abide by them

19. wylie

Did he apologise for accusing your kids and threatening legal action (or whatever thread he did make) once he knew your kids did not damage the lift?

Perhaps he owes you a letter of apology. Don't hold your breath. Landlords (people) like this make my blood boil.

20. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

No of course not he just acted like nothing happened in hello goodbye kind of scenario