QLD Landload Breach for Kids throwing water balloons

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Mobeen, 25th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Can I please ask some advise?

We currently rent in a apartment complex. As stupid as it is my 16 year old son and nephew thought it would be funny to throw water balloons from the balcony on the 3rd floor at 10:30pm of Friday night, yes I know stupid.

Our landlord who stays on top floor (6th floor) caught the kids and took photos and video of them.
    He came down and banged on our door at around 11:00pm, obviously stating to me what has happened. I stated I didn’t know anything about it and called my son. My son stated yes he did throw the water ballon approx 5 ballon into the property next door causing no damage to anything.

The landlord stated that he is taking the matter to the police with all the evidence (photos and videos). He stated to me and my son “You are messing with the wrong people” and showing us an ID stating he is in the law industry. He stated he is also going to breach our tenancy as well. He also stated he has 2 other incidents in the past he is going to breach us for but I have never heard of any of them before at all.

How much trouble are we in?
    Can he do this?
    Can he breach us and kick us out. If so we have paid 12 months rent in advance would we get it back?

Thanks in advance

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Why did you do this? Did the landlord demand it? If so, in many states this is illegal.

The Y-man

Cia, Hetty, MTR and 2 others like this.
  3. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

He sounds full of hot air honestly. Way over the top from your description of the situation. I feel sorry for you, landlords like this, give the rest of us a bad name.
    If its was a one off occurrence like you stated, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Get in touch with your local free tenancy advocacy service is he keeps harrassing and threatening you.

Perp likes this.
  4. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Also curious what ID he showed you to prove he was in the 'law industry'?

Perp likes this.
  5. The Y-man

Yes - he can go to the Police.
    Whether the police do anything about it is totally a different matter (I'd say probably nothing - might just visit you to say "Hey we got a complaint, try to keep it quiet please").

The Y-man

craigc, Perp and Rugrat like this.
  6. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

No the landlord did not demand it, We kinda offered to secure the property over other applicants I guess

7. The Y-man

Maybe one of these? :D:D:D

The Y-man

[​IMG]

datto likes this.
  8. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

He flashed a wallet and left side like a badge But not a police badge or any recognisable badge and on the right hand side obviously I card with his face and name on it like an ID, He flashed it at my son who is 16 and said he is all about evidence and he is in big ****, I actually recorded the conversation though I can’t use it because I didn’t ask his permission

9. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Just wait until he cools down, nothing will happen to your kids probably just get a slap on the wrist. I doubt you can even be thrown out for this, if they've damaged anything just offer to pay for it.

Perp likes this.
  10. The Y-man

Oh man that's insane!

No wonder he wants you out....

The Y-man

p.s. did you get a receipt?

11. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

1. Probably none.

2. Probably not successfully.

3. No.

If for some bizarre reason the tenancy terminated early you would be entitled to your rent in advance back.

The guy sounds full of it and he probably was more likely to have committed criminal offences than your kids were.

12. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

God me too. I must have missed picking one up after getting admitted.

In all seriousness if he actually was a lawyer then you can report him to the legal practice board because its unprofessional conduct and sanctionable for lawyers to throw around the fact they're lawyers in personal disputes.

13. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

Yes everything is through a real estate property manager and all receipts and everything is kept On my email

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Did the landlord advise that he was going to the property? Maybe breach him for coming around unannounced outside of business hours contrary to your quiet enjoyment of the property. :p

15. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

To be honest with you guys the only thing I am worried about is my advance rent I paid, I paid for 12 months and only been here 4 months, I live in a boutique apartment block and in sub Penthouse paying extremely high rent, This landlord no one likes in this apartment block and everyone has to walk around on eggshells due to him living in the complex of 28 apartments so it’s quite a Boutique setup

16. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

No he did not announce he was coming he arrived at approximately 10:55 pm Getting us out of bed. By banging the door, Before I open the door I asked who was it he did not answer and banged again

17. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

We live on the third floor and he lives on the sixth floor, He really didn’t have to travel far though as I said my kid did throw water balloons from the balloons from the balcony

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

To be fair, your son and nephew were both throwing water balloons over the balcony at 10.30pm (and probably being noisy while doing it).

So I can see why a neighbour - seeing and hearing the behaviour - (and your landlord is also your neighbour) might think you were still up. If I was your neighbour, I’d probably have knocked too!

It sounds like he over reacted though. (Are you sure this is the first time your son and nephew have done this sort of thing - teenage hijinks can be a bit hard on neighbours.

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2020
  19. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Report him for harassment to the police for coming down at 11pm and smashing on the door with anger. :D

20. Mobeen

Mobeen Well-Known Member

In regards to the water balloons yes this is definitely the first time they’re 16 turning onto 17 Though yes throwing water balloons is like a seven-year-old thing to do