Land Tax

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by RMurph, 12th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RMurph

RMurph New Member

Hi,

I am after information related to land tax.

I have my primary residence which is a few acres that I reside in/on with my wife.

We have a vacant block down the south coast of NSW valued at $350k.

I am currently in the process of building an investment dwelling in QLD. Land Value $270k House Value $320k. I have also just purchased a town house in QLD for $340K.

All properties are jointly owned by my wife and I 50/50.

How do I stand with Land Tax ?

Cousinit likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

possibly no land tax for you

Cousinit likes this.
  3. RMurph

RMurph New Member

Ok my understanding is the threshold is at different levels in each state. Is the threshold split so for example if my wife and I own each property 50/50 does that mean we could effectively double the threshold before it was applicable to the individuals?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

no for nsw
    yes for qld

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Rather than asking people who dont know your actual position you should check each state land tax rules and thresholds and rates. Each state Office of State Revenue operates a website with all the particulars. NSW for example has a $734K+ threshold and thats excluding your own home. QLD its $600K. This value is the unimproved land value.
    Decisions about ownership / names and the like for future changes to property should consider land tax amoungst other factors eg Are you also subect to the NSW Land Tax surcharge ? This can apply when the base land tax threshold isnt even met.

Matters such are referring to "I" and then describing joint ownership does not give clarity.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.