Land tax

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by thegoat, 26th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. thegoat

thegoat Member

Hi,

I recently received my land tax bills for the 2019 and 2020 years. Unfortunateley the SRO office of Victoria had the wrong address listed for us, hence the reason we have now received 2 years worth of assessments.

If I pay before 30 June, am I able to claim the expenses for both of these years in this years tax return, or would I need to amend last years tax return in order to claim for the 2019 assessment (even though I'm paying it this year).

Hope someone can assist.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Paul@PAS likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I often see missing land tax or insurance when doing a tax return and then the client detects the mailing issue. We then add in the land tax despite it being even unpaid or paid in the current year

4. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

What do you for us? like the mailing address or the subject property is legally identified incorrectly?

If it is a simple administrative error, you need to lodge an objection stating the details of how your land is incorrect. Actually had the same review last week..

I am in NSW, don't know enough about Vic but I cant imagine a whole lot being different...