Land tax

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Hetty, 22nd Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

S 22 on co-owners
    www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/qld/consol_act/lta201090/s22.html

2. Gomez

Gomez Member

Thank you. My reading of s22 indicates the commissioner won't be able to make a subsection (4) determination unless there are at least 5 co-owners of the land. So 2 companies owning the land jointly, would not be assessed jointly or in the manner described in subsection (4) allowing them to legitimately avoid triggering the land tax threshold.

I am awaiting confirmation from QLD OSR.

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Each legal entity has its own threshold, land tax for trusts are based on the trustee. One trustee can have a threshold for each trust (unless a cloned trust) and separate to the individual trustees threshold - these relationships need to be outlined to OSR and clearly demonstrate who holds what on behalf of whom.

4. Terry_w

I think you are reading ss4 wrong. It is saying the opposite - if more than 5 owners they could be assessed as one.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  5. Gomez

Gomez Member

Aren't we saying the same thing? 2 entities co-owning the property is fine with each getting the benefit of the tax free threshold. But if there are 5 or more co-owners then they can assess it as if it is owned by 1, which means only one threshold can be applied.

6. Terry_w

Yep

7. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Got my first Land Tax Bill today.
    Combined Land Value of 632k. All properties in QLD. All 100% in my name.
    My question is, one of these properties is currently my PPOR. Is a PPOR not exempt from Land Tax calculations, or are you taxed on your TOTAL holdings?

8. Terry_w

main residence exempt - unless you hold it as trustee.

9. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry.
    I'd best make some calls to save the mistake.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Registration is strongly suggested and unexpected changes to land tax can occur and impact a unregistered owner. eg land value changes, threshold changes or land tax changes in a budget etc. Unregistered owners can get bombarded with frequent reminders.

11. Paul@PAS

Each state has a process. Good the hear its more automated in QLD. Then maybe you cant be held liable for penalties if they miss your land I would think. You may need to ensure exempt land is noted as exempt. (eg PPOR)

12. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

I tried to use the online form to check the land tax eligibility through the VIC SRO.
    Not sure how can I find the land value of a townhouse? For ex ; 290 sqM land with a townhouse. (IP)
    Thanks

13. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking....they might send you the land tax invoice but you would just send it back/contact them and let them know you didn't own the property at midnight on the 30th....so gagf etc.

14. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Who do you appeal to for land tax values? We have 2 properties in Vic same street, same side of the street, same block size, 3 doors from each other. One's land value is 60k more than the other.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If the street isn't flat, and one is perched higher, that can be the difference. In the streets we hold houses, each house slightly further uphill with better outlook, views, breezes is worth thousands more.

We hold two adjoining blocks, exactly the same land size, but one block sits higher. Difference in value... $50k.

And in the early 90s, I was home when the OSR person visited our house, asked if he could come into our back yard to see what our view was like. I said "please come in so you can see that we don't have a city view". We still copped a huge increase, with each hill further down from us being assigned a lesser figure, and then as the street rose towards the next hill, the values rose again. It was not hidden that they were looking along the ridges to gauge the views.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Whoever sends out the valuation eg SVO, valuer general etc have an appeals mechanism.

One block is worth more than the other because it's on the sunny side of the street.

17. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Although ATO ID 2010/192 has been withdrawn the ATO holds the same position as indicated in its rental properties guide 2017

You cant clain arrears for land tax in the year they were paid.

18. Paul@PAS

The unimproved land is what is assessed under the Act. However, they take the view that obstructed views arent made good if the neighbours house was theoretically removed and neither do they increase values for a tall house with ocean views that can be seen from the top level. The land then has no view. That said some lots values are enhanced by a view as the demand for the lot is considered higher than a lot without view. This is based on an average square metre value for that area. So two lots one with a trivial view may have a small number of high value metres incorporated into the value and more land at a lesser value where its neighbour may have a high proportion of view. Land with a contour that provides a view will have a higher value than one without but each lot may need specific valuation and not use a generalised estimate like many suburban areas. Much of this can be done by desktop now where field visits used to be needed.

This principle was used with success a few years back when I assisted a land tax dispute about a heritage impacted site. The whole of the property sat above it but not on it and technically it could not be improved or demolished or the land even touched. One of the most protected sites for history and heritage and culture in the country both colonial and indigenous.

The land value was held to be materially valueless on appeal. Only the improvements on and above the land held the value and that the heritage issues literally meant the land was not capable of use by the owner. The heritage and other limits didnt even allow them to touch their land despite access being available. If the property was destroyed evidence was given it would never be rebuilt and beyond council and state powers to approve development of any kind. And likely then compulsorily acquired by the Govt and no rebuild would be allowed. The owner possessed a right to the air above it despite a title deed which implied otherwise. That right to the airspace was held to be on the land as an improvement and not part of it . And any new owner would suffer the same limits seriously affecting land dealings. That said I believe it is a unique situation and the appeal decision even suggested that.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think you are saying what I was saying?

The valuer certainly wanted to see what our city view was like and I was happy to crush his assumption that we had a city view, rather than have him assume we did. He said he was visiting as many houses on the ridge lines as he could.

I also recall at that time there was a lot of noise in the media. At that time our house was valued about $200k from memory. Our land value was about $70k from memory.

We were on a ridge line with houses backing onto us just slightly lower than our blocks, but with full city views, probably the views worth $1m at the time, and backed up by sales of lesser quality houses than ours, but those million dollar views.

I also remember clearly someone we knew who lived near the river at Kadumba Street, Yeronga fighting (and winning some cases) for his neighbours in court, knocking down the values placed on their blocks.

Also, near the river at East Brisbane was a particular house, on a block 1852sqm, current UCV $3.1m. In March 1996 it sold for $750k and in July 1997 our house sold for $300k.

At the time of our visit, and our value was about $70k, the UCV for this block was $45k (from memory... I do recall it was about half our value). It is a turn of the century, beautiful house in a high and commanding block, ballroom, servants quarters, tennis court etc. I know the block itself is valued and not what is sitting on it, but we are talking chalk and cheese just in the block size, outlook and prestige location, but our UCV was double. And then to add insult to injury a moratorium was called, and our values shot through the roof and everything else just stopped.

Out of interest, I've just looked at both our old house on 658sqm with a UCV now of $1m, and the landmark residence on 1852sqm with UCV of $3.1m.

How could this block EVER have been assigned a UCV at half of ours?

So, I have no faith in the whole UCV process. There is no fairness (and certainly back in the 90s it was much worse - clearly the land values are more realistic right now for those two blocks).

luckyone likes this.
  20. Paul@PAS

Tax is always unfair. It just has to be reasonably fair to most people (that bit is never mentioned in the relevant act). The objection process is weighted in favour of experts v's owners.

I encountered a old lady who after several years raised the issue with OSR who agreed with her (her lot was surrounded by blocks suitable for units - Not hers). And amended the present year ONLY. She asked if they would apply that to past years...No. The amendment period is quite short they said

Your objection must be lodged within 60 days of service of notice of your assessment or notification of a decision of the Chief Commissioner

I suggested she try the Commissioners discretion and object to his decision making. A decision of the NSW Commissioner has a longer time period. The decision to accept a excessive valuation could be open to objection. She wrote back and demonstrated how the land tax affected her income etc and gave a lovely story and asked why the Commissioner didnt himself object to the valuation. They allowed four years.....

wylie likes this.