Land Tax in NSW

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Yson, 6th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

Just wondering has anyone ever dispute the land value with OSR, and sucessfully argued the land value to lower amount, thus lower land tax bills? If so, is the process simple or ?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I have considered disputing a few valuations however after reviewing the data presented by the SVO in support of the value that they have presented (including ensuring the appropriate zoning, land size, latent defects etc are all considered), the margin of error was too small to worry about.

If you raise a query with the SVO they will present you with the list of comparables which they have used to establish your land value. If it is wildly incorrect, then you may stand a chance arguing the toss with a valuer.

If the zoning has changed then your land value will have increased dramatically even if there have been no recent sales within cooee of your property.

Others may have had different experiences.

3. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

What is SVO? Clearly it's because the 4 lands beside me was sold to developer with premium, and that's why my land value is double from 2016, this is my thought.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

SVO, the mob who wrote to you.

You need to contact the SVO under the complaints mechanism to determine what properties that they have used as comparables. If the blocks next door are a development site, then it may be good enough to assume that your block would be worth as much maybe more.

I know one group of 5 owners. Each parcel of land went from $750k in 2012 to $2.3m. They can't even lease out the properties as the use is non-compliant.

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2017
    Cactus likes this.